log splitter

willcope

Hi all,newbie here after some advice.i'm looking to purchase a log splitter and not sure which one to go for? my budgets around £1500-£1700 inc the vat and i'll be splitting around 50t of seasoned hardwood :crazy:,i need one with a petrol engine as i have no tractor with PTO.

I bought a so called "cheap chinky " one because I liked the design . I has an anvill both ends and a double sided splitting wedge so you can split in both directios , load another ring whilst its on it way to he opposite end etc . Its supposed to be 20T force (never measured it but has not failed to split any thing yet) Honda copy engine . I modded it by fitting "road tow suspension units and made it one handed opp thats all . Its also faster than any other hydrulic splitter I have seen .

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a Wallenstein WX540 splitter, commercial grade- great well built bit of kit. 20 Tonne at the wedge, 5.5HP GX Honda engine. Can be used horizontal and vertical which is handy. Andy from Wallenstein UK is on the forum, good advice, great service. Well recommended.

Cdo

I got a Wallenstein WX540 splitter, commercial grade- great well built bit of kit. 20 Tonne at the wedge, 5.5HP GX Honda engine. Can be used horizontal and vertical which is handy. Andy from Wallenstein UK is on the forum, good advice, great service. Well recommended.

Cdo

That must be slow tho? 5.5hp for 20 ton vs say 9hp for 11 ton on a riko / woodline / thor ?

The brochure states 14 secs full cycle and 7 secs average cycle- Watch the video on YouTube. Speed aint a problem, but I must admit I would have liked an auto-return function. Believe that may be an EU constraint/bulls*it? To be honest I also looked at the Riko and went Wallenstein because I wanted a road towable unit without having to buy the optional trailer thingy. Also the horizontal option is nice!

I have to say I love my Rabaud Splitters.

We have two, a F13 Farmer II and a F16 Eco.

the F16 Eco folds down for storage, not that I ever do (... seemed like a good idea when I bought it) ant it is super strong and never refuses anything.

The F13 is faster because it has the two speed valve and is rarely bested by even the most twisted, knotty timber.

Both will split 1100mm lengths and I use the to split into billets and allow to dry before further processing into firewood logs.

both are around the £1500 mark for the tractor hydraulic version, pto model was a good bit more, but if you have more than 30lpm you dont need the pto one. I run one on an old Nuffield and the other on a Case 4230, can't really say one is any better than the other but very, very well made and you do get what you pay for.

I would post a few pics if I knew how, any one what to help me out there?

but that's the F16 eco in my avatar.

I know many people favour the road tow independent powered machines but I either take the tractor to the job or, more often, the job to the tractor.

I think a 80hp tractor with a 70lpm pump trumps a 13hp honda petrol any day!