dead hands and arms

vduben

Have you had an arm or shoulder muscle or tendon injury recently? Sometimes, the scar tissue of a healing injury can squeeze a nerve. It happened to me after I had had a lower back injury; the back problem cleared, but then started getting dead legs and sciatica if I had to stand still for any length of time. It was that painful that, if I was stuck in a crowded pub and couldn't get a seat, I had to go home early. Even heavy drinking didn't stop the pain! Luckily, it cleared up over a few months.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Begining of last year I devolped similar symtpoms to what you describe vdub, for me the cause was obvious, i'd overstrained my arms doing work I was'nt accustomed to.

It was horrible waking up with dead tingling arms, but because I knew what caused it I changed how I worked for a bit, used some support for my arms/elbows, and within 2 months the symptoms disappeared. Tendons and nerves can take a long time to heal! And sometimes never heal properly.

Your doing the right thing though in my opinion, you know your body is telling you something and your trying to do something about it. Rather than thinking the pain is normal and to be expected!

I do also think that we are all biomechanically different, some of us can do this job and never develop problems, some of us can develop RSI's and MSD's pretty quickly, and put up with it.

Just my thoughts on this.

right A new update, went to the docs and told him what was going on and he booked me straight in to see another doctor for treatment!!!!

apparently ive got carpels tunnel syndrome, its where the band around your tendons shrinks and causes dead arms at night and give tingley hands also, so ive gotta go have a few injections in my wrist and if thats not worked then they cut open your wrist and sever the band and enlarge it!!!!!! not looking forward since i had a tiny birth mark removed and ended up a mess on the floor!!!!!

should be ineresting!!!

That's a serious operation, Vduben.

Meh, it's a standard procedure around here. Doc wanted me to have it done, but I didn't. I wasn't into the surgery and I dealt with it for years when I was younger by using hot and cold soak treatments to improve circulation and promote healing in the hands and wrists.

I would fill a tub or container or one side of a two sided sink with super hot water as hot as you can handle and the other side with freezing cold water, add ice. I would then keep my hands submerged in the hot for like five minutes and then into the cold for five and back and forth until you get to bored. It worked extremely well, also sleeping with my hands elevated on pillows made it way easier to sleep through the nights more without being woke up by that numbness that goes beyond numbness to a weired kind of ache.

That as well as lots of stretching of the hands and wrist as well as massage therapy(I've found it to be extremely painful if done properly but effective)have worked best for me. My hands started bugging me right away from chainsaws old 272's and 288's are to blame for that.

i couldnt do what youve done squisher, there is no point delaying the treatment, any how if i get it done asap there is a chance ill only need injections rather than surgeory, prolonging the treatment will only cause more pain and agro!!

By injections you mean cortozone right? My doctor offered me a chance to have that, but advised against it, so did a few of my sports threapist friends.

I was advised only to use cortozone as a last resort, and the operation as the final option.

You say you only just developed the symptoms right? they are from the sound of it the same as what I had. It is not nice, but it is possible to deal with with out ops and injections.

I say give it another 6 weeks, maybe try accupuncture followed by massage, it helps by increasing the blood circulation to the trouble spot aiding the body to heal naturally.

But i'm no expert on the subject!!!

I can also add, that the band around my tendons still gives me a little pain at times due to thee way it healed, but i'm not disabled in anyway I still have full strength and use of my arms.

Operation or injections will be the last resort for me.

Having logged for years, I've seen many people go down the cortizone path. Cortizone is a one way street, I've never seen anyone continue to abuse there body and get off of cortizone. It seems more like something to prolong surgery in every instance I've seen and I've worked with guys having it injected into almost every joint in their body except never heard of it in the wrists?

What I've done is what I had to do, without going through a surgery. My dad was a rockdriller for awhile (dynamiting/blasting) and he had the surgery done said there was nothing to it and it was the best thing he ever did, hands never bothered him again.