operators licence

simonm

Does anybody have an operators licence? ive just been reading about them now and it seems like theyve made it as hard as possible to get 1! you have to employ a transport manager?! and some body whos competent of doing maintenance checks! also have equipment that can measure the emmisions and something else! what are your experience of operators licences?

Hi there!

had one for many years, at the moment 8 tractor units and 12 trailers on it.... If you have to go there, then make sure the extra hassle is worth it.

Mine is a full International, so all the rules apply.

It is slightly easier if you are on restricted, ie; moving own goods and not hire & reward.

But on applying, planning permissions and conforming is still a requirement.

Steve

Simon I think you have misundestood this

You don't need a transport manger (cpc holder) you don't have to "employ" someone to do your checks and you certainly don't need emissions measuring equipment.

The basics for a (restricted) licence suitable for tree surgery works are a suitable premises to operate from, sufficient funds available to keep the vehicle maintained and some form of performing periodical checks. ( DIY or get a contact mechanic to do it). The remainder is paperwork and a few hoops to jump through.

Run a restricted licence for a few years now, not hard to get provided you have a suitable yard and no convictions or bankrupcy/ccjs etc.

Keep the paperwork up to date, contract out the maintenance and its very little extra work, especially given the work a bigger truck can do for you.

Simon I think you have misundestood this

You don't need a transport manger (cpc holder) you don't have to "employ" someone to do your checks and you certainly don't need emissions measuring equipment.

The basics for a (restricted) licence suitable for tree surgery works are a suitable premises to operate from, sufficient funds available to keep the vehicle maintained and some form of performing periodical checks. ( DIY or get a contact mechanic to do it). The remainder is paperwork and a few hoops to jump through.

that doesnt sound so bad then really. moving house soon andy so i shall have a bigger yard and my own "man cave" wont be as good as yours though:001_smile:

Yard wise, you need enough room to drive the truck in and turn it round without reversing. (Dont ask me why)

If the access is on a busy main road or in a residential area you may get objections.

well thats thrown a spanner in! enough room to drive in and turn round!