Husq 357/Jonsered 2159

Chris Sheppard

My 2159 has one of the spark arrester type exhausts (though with the screen removed), is there any advantage performance wise if I stick a proper exhaust onto it?

I'm thinking of parting with one of my 357's so not too fussed about swappign a few bits over before it gets advertised and know the exhaust will fit.

Also, the 2159 is a bit of an oddball as it is small mount (like the 357) but uses big hole sprockets, meaning that unless I run a 9 toother, it's 3/8ths only.

That in itself isn't a problem but it's the only saw on the shelf that is small mount 3/8ths as all my other small mount bars are .325 and all 13or15" and I like t keep things easily interchangeable where I can. Does anyone happen to know before I start stripping it down, if the oil pump drive and clutch drum off a 357 are compatible with the 2159? This would mean I can then run .325or 3/8ths rims on it making it a bit more versatile.

I know the clutch itself is the same as a 357 but the drum has different lugs that dont fit the oil pump drive on the 357.

Hope that makes some sense :001_smile:

Before anyone states the obvious and says to get rid of the 2159 and keep the 357, I know that'd be simpler but I really quite like the old 2159 as it's not done a lot and it's a bit different :001_smile:

From what I can tell, the Jonsered 2159 shares parts with 357XP and 359, all list the same oil pinions and clutch drums.

As far as exhausts go, the less baffles there are in the exhaust, the better. The spark arrestor one sounds like the one off the 346XP, is there a baffle plate in it? If not, it will probably breath better than the one off the 357XP as standard with the forward facing exit on the front of the exhaust.

Nice one, hopefully I can swap them over then. The bit that was different was the prongs on the back of the clutch drum and the slots on the black bit on the oil pump that the prongs locate into - They definitely didn't go together (but that's not to say that one might even be the wrong one from before I bought it). I didn't have time to delve right into it when we were in the wood so it all got put back together and forgot about until now.

Going from the stickers on the 2159 it's an aussie import and reckons to be only 85db - it's a bit quieter I suppose but not loads. Will the baffle be visible from the outside or would I need to open it up on the seam?

With the screen in it, it did sound a bit like a newer 346 exhaust noise with that sort of whistly rattly noise (can't think of a better way to describe it).

Also, whilst thinking 357, did the older ones (darker orange) have more go about them thn the newer ones (lighter orange and auto decomp?).

The one I put the ARB pot on felt a bit less aggressive than the older ones but thought that was the pot, but the latest one I picked up has done next to nothing, appears to be running fine and pulls well enoughvbut just doesn't seem to have the punch of the older ones. The one we've been comparing it to was bought new and hasn't been fettled with so should be all stock. Just a bit curious.

Nice one, hopefully I can swap them over then. The bit that was different was the prongs on the back of the clutch drum and the slots on the black bit on the oil pump that the prongs locate into - They definitely didn't go together (but that's not to say that one might even be the wrong one from before I bought it). I didn't have time to delve right into it when we were in the wood so it all got put back together and forgot about until now.

Going from the stickers on the 2159 it's an aussie import and reckons to be only 85db - it's a bit quieter I suppose but not loads. Will the baffle be visible from the outside or would I need to open it up on the seam?

With the screen in it, it did sound a bit like a newer 346 exhaust noise with that sort of whistly rattly noise (can't think of a better way to describe it).

Also, whilst thinking 357, did the older ones (darker orange) have more go about them thn the newer ones (lighter orange and auto decomp?).

The one I put the ARB pot on felt a bit less aggressive than the older ones but thought that was the pot, but the latest one I picked up has done next to nothing, appears to be running fine and pulls well enoughvbut just doesn't seem to have the punch of the older ones. The one we've been comparing it to was bought new and hasn't been fettled with so should be all stock. Just a bit curious.

On the parts lists I was consulting, there were two clutch drums, one for 3/8 and one for 0.325, perhaps you were trying the 3/8 drum on the 0.325 pinion or vice versa.

Here is the parts list- http://www.jonsered.ws/2159.pdf it may help

On the baffle plate - it is easier to remove the muffler and look in to the exhaust port side, on the exhausts with the front facing tube type exhaust outlet, they have a baffle plate in the middle of the muffler - I know as I drilled mine out on my poprted 357XP. The 346XP muffler comes in may guises but mine is an empty can with a spark arrestor and a hole underneath - now a much larger hole:thumbup:

85db is very quiet with 114dm being typical on standard machines - I would imagine that this saps power!

Not sure if different 357XPs have different power for different models- agree with Stubby, the auto decomp was horrible and removal is the best thing for it.

On the parts lists I was consulting, there were two clutch drums, one for 3/8 and one for 0.325, perhaps you were trying the 3/8 drum on the 0.325 pinion or vice versa.

Here is the parts list- http://www.jonsered.ws/2159.pdf it may help

On the baffle plate - it is easier to remove the muffler and look in to the exhaust port side, on the exhausts with the front facing tube type exhaust outlet, they have a baffle plate in the middle of the muffler - I know as I drilled mine out on my poprted 357XP. The 346XP muffler comes in may guises but mine is an empty can with a spark arrestor and a hole underneath - now a much larger hole:thumbup:

85db is very quiet with 114dm being typical on standard machines - I would imagine that this saps power!

Not sure if different 357XPs have different power for different models- agree with Stubby, the auto decomp was horrible and removal is the best thing for it.

That sounds like it might be the case, the 2159 is on 3/8ths and has big hole rim and the 357 is running 325 on a small hole rim. What confuses things is small hole 3/8ths rims :blushing:

Sounds like If I swap the pinion over too then it should all work, which is good :001_smile:

The XPG will be getting the auto decomp removed shortly - it's been on the to do list :thumbup1:

I'll have a look at the exhausts when I get a few min, don't think I've taken any notice looking in from the other side.

That sounds like it might be the case, the 2159 is on 3/8ths and has big hole rim and the 357 is running 325 on a small hole rim. What confuses things is small hole 3/8ths rims :blushing:

Sounds like If I swap the pinion over too then it should all work, which is good :001_smile:

The XPG will be getting the auto decomp removed shortly - it's been on the to do list :thumbup1:

I'll have a look at the exhausts when I get a few min, don't think I've taken any notice looking in from the other side.

chris

just get a stihl & be done wi it ,you know you want to :thumbup1::001_tt2: