My first private job

Rich2484

not great with camera and limited rope skills, come from a bit of solo rock climbing and afair bit of tree climbing so i think i might not be up to some peoples safety standards here but ill see, job isntfor a couple of weeks but ill try....

if it stands up after this weather i would guess its stronger than you might think using a mewp costs so climb safe.Use your rope round the stem and not over the branches common sence prevails :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think that you are competing with your boss, never bite the hand that feeds you. If one of my guys went toting for work whilst on my pay roll it would mean end of job but please correct me if I have wrong end of stick, cheers Sam

His boss is obviously ok with the situation, seeing as they are lending a trailer and letting the OP tip at their yard. As long as he isn't touting for business while working for his boss or quoting on the same jobs, what's the problem? After all, there are no geographical rights to jobs in 'your area'. As a subby, I carry the cards of whoever I am working for at that time and give them to anyone who asks for one but if a job comes up at other times, it's my card that gets given out. :001_smile:

I personally think that you are competing with your boss, never bite the hand that feeds you. If one of my guys went toting for work whilst on my pay roll it would mean end of job but please correct me if I have wrong end of stick, cheers Sam

It's fine with the "boss", he is actually encouraging me. I'm self employed while working for him so it's ok from legal type things, he is away next week so I've got to find some work to keep money coming in.

As I'm not climbing cert I can take on the jobs he would see as no point in doing as it wouldn't make any money from them.

Plus he said he was too busy with grass cutting sites and other work he has got to warrant getting any more in.

It's a small job and hopefully I can get a few more in, everyone has to start somewhere.

Rich, I'm in similar situation here. Self-employed though working seemingly exclusively for one firm, no paid holiday, no paid bank holidays, no paid sick, pay my own tax and NI and expenses, the whole shebang.... for £100/day! Getting things sorted out now though so I can pull myself out of a rutt I've been stuck in for the past few years. Mrs ain't working, we've got mortgage and kids and increasing bills, and £100/day is seeing me get closer and closer to the edge! Often I wish I'd never taken certain paths in life, but ho hum, can't do nowt about what has been!

Yeah that's what I keep thinking to myself. I think I need to do something for myself, getting older and working for same company is great, it's regular income, (sort of) but I need to make my own way and try and get a ball rolling.

i think personaly that is the wrong way to treat it. if the boss hasnt priced it then he is not in the competion.. its when people start pricing against there bosses they should be sacked.

i cant afford to live on the wage im paid so i get as much work as possible. but as you say id never bite the hand that feeds.

i no longer work for a tree surgeon, i now work for an organisation that only works on there own 5000 schres of land around milton keynes.

Edited by WoodED

Rich, I'm in similar situation here. Self-employed though working seemingly exclusively for one firm, no paid holiday, no paid bank holidays, no paid sick, pay my own tax and NI and expenses, the whole shebang.... for £100/day! Getting things sorted out now though so I can pull myself out of a rutt I've been stuck in for the past few years. Mrs ain't working, we've got mortgage and kids and increasing bills, and £100/day is seeing me get closer and closer to the edge! Often I wish I'd never taken certain paths in life, but ho hum, can't do nowt about what has been!

mate,£100 a day goes nowhere anymore!seems whoever is 'employing' you is taking the piss