Climate change- discuss

The worst case scenario for the effects of climate change are not the end of the world at the moment. I think the current drive from campaigners is to get the levels to settle somewhere half acceptable so we don't wipe out our atmosphere as we know it entirely.

In this respect, now I think about it you are right to harp on about it Tony.:thumbup1:

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If all the science and modelling is correct... which is never a given.. then we are well and truly screwed already:biggrin:..... Which I think is what Worcs Wuss is alluding to.

I'd like to say that my posts are all based in precisely the solid scientific fact you suggest and that that's exactly what I mean, but alas it's not, it's just 'my considered conclusion based on the select facts at hand' I'm afraid.... :blushing:

Although you have the jist of what I am saying bang on..! :lol:

Not to mention the fact that really, China hasn't even really got going yet... something needs to be done.. the question is what? I don't think there's really anything I can change in my life which will make a difference, even if every one of us did the same thing. What's needed is something bigger, and possibly 'impossible'....?

Nice post Worcs:thumbup1:

Now you've got me thinking about all this stuff Tony I have another thought.

For those of you who think we are too small to affect our atmosphere. Look no further than the ozone hole, which is different science and specifically related to anthropogenic CFC emissions.

If you don't think this is real, go to NZ and go out in 25 degrees Centigrade and take down a tree.

I got heat stroked in 25 degrees in NZ and never in 4 yrs in Spain in 45 degrees plus.

Now I must stop thinking about this stuff...its getting late.

We're all screwed anyway when mother earth decides its time to shift the Pacific ring of fire!

Indonesia 2004, Chile 2008, NZ and Japan last year, its getting closer to the San Andreas fault line, and when it sites that giant Caldera sitting underneath Yellowstone park, well.... Chain reaction springs to mind, and "experts" (or scaremongers) think is well over due!

The human race doesn't stand a chance, climate change or not!

Well that was a nice bit of doom and gloom for a night:001_rolleyes:

Sent from my Galaxy S2

You forgot a couple of other rather large calderas. I sit not 2kms from one super volcano and there is at least one more on the pacific ring on this side of the world that, should it go bang, would be an extinction event. Personally, if it all turns to custard and wipes much of the human race of the face of the planet, would that be such a bad thing for the natural world in general rather than looking at it from just our species point of view?

Amazing

People here live in a democracy and they don't believe in the power of it.

It may not be instant- it may not be perfect but things do change.

OK greed doesn't change and the basic human condition remains constant ish but

If everyone shrugs there shoulders and says what can I do then theres no hope.

Like I say Nuclear armageddon was avoided and believe you me that was a serious concern mid to late 70's. I mean people were really worried about it.

Why can't we control CO2 -it's only a gas

I think you're taking the easy option and saying 'poor me-theres nothing I can do so I won't do anything'

Maybe what we learn along the way about controlling our atmosphere will come in useful when Earth has the next extinction event.

Keep the faith

We've always got to be worrying ourselves sick and blaming ourselves for something.

I have always thought that those who spend their time proselytizing about World's End etc, would be the same people who, in another time (or culture) would be religious zealots exhorting us to feel terrible about ourselves and wear a hair shirt all day.

No wonder we've got this potential problem.

Don't know what to do so...do nothing.. or worse believe there is no problem. All's fine

You know what you have to do

Believe in the capitalist system because it ain't going away.

Believe in technology and there you have the answer.

Simples

Humans arn't going to move to the stars if you panic at every crossroads.

......sit back and wait for dreamer criticism.:001_tt2:

I think the difference between climate change and nuclear disarmament was that nuclear war was something which could be instantly started and instantly stopped by individual governments. I doubt very much that the women of Greenham Common influenced the movers and shakers that much, rather more that there were diplomats working tirelessly behind the scenes as much to protect their own families from total devastation as everyone elses....

Climate change is something caused [in part] by centuries of human development and activity which is intrinsic to the way we live at the moment. It could have been prevented had we the knowledge when we discovered fossil fuel [assuming for the moment that's responsible] to have left it in the ground and carried on living in caves, then we'd still be just another mammal.

How we live can be changed, but slowly, it can't be 'turned off' nor can it be prevented, like nuclear war was, by a few governments reaching an accord.... It will take [likely almost] as long to change how we live and create a new basis for civilisation as it has taken us to create this one.... If we have time then great, I'm trying to work towards it myself in my own little way already, but if not then our fate is of our own making. :001_smile:

I've been tempted to write into the Radio 4 programme 'Genius' - BBC - Radio 4 - Genius- About The Programme - for some time now with an idea to fix the CO2 problem.

All we need is a series of solar powered satellites with big pipes to suck up the atmosphere that run fractional distillation plants to separate the air into its component gases. The CO2 is sent out into the universe, the rest is sent back to Earth.

Genius, yeah?