Clearly i dont have a clue about forestry or arboriculture, but...

Ganit

Don't think it is out of order Ian. The scheme is aimed at people who in some way show that there not wanting or not willing to work.

Gnarlyoak, surely if everything is taken into account he's making more than min wage???

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's his first post and he's taken the time to put a vid up and this is the best reply you can give? Working like that 4 weeks for no money is hardly lazy :sneaky2:

My apologies for being rude on his first post and picking at things but no money isn't quite accurate. I'm sure many would do four weeks work for a few months keep and board.

I am surprised there was just you.

surely they could of found you a co worker.

I would of thought wellies and safety glasses could of been provided.

So what happens now do you just carry on on the dole or are you somewhere else.

So how much do you get on benefits ish not been nosey just wondered.

At least you can afford to run a car and insure it well i hope it,s insured:thumbup:

do you fancy a full time job doing similar or has it put you off?

Don't think it is out of order Ian. The scheme is aimed at people who in some way show that there not wanting or not willing to work.

Gnarlyoak, surely if everything is taken into account he's making more than min wage???

Maybe some people don't want to work, but his video shows this is not the case. The scheme is aimed at people who are having trouble finding work and there are a few things available to them like working links.

How would you work out he is on more than minimum wage ?? Going on gnarlyoak calculations of £243.20 per week. I would say someone who is on all the stuff jsa/hb/ct I would guess it would approx be £71.50/£91/£18 for a single person which is £180.50 per week. I have not included his fuel allowance as it comes out of this anyway and didn't cover it.

The thing I thought was out of order was the lazy Muppet comment, but you have apologised on a previous post so I'll say no more:001_smile:

So what this work thing all about?

I've never heard of mandatory thing before? But them I'm down south and we might not have this.

I don't know, someone shed some light on this. Sorry if I sound stupid. Is it like community service for the unemployed?

So what this work thing all about?

I've never heard of mandatory thing before? But them I'm down south and we might not have this.

I don't know, someone shed some light on this. Sorry if I sound stupid. Is it like community service for the unemployed?

My sister was long term unemployed.not due to not wanting to because even when she wasn't working she was doing various courses to help her get more employable, she can type about 50'000 words per minute blindfolded with one hand behind her back! (possible slight exaggeration :001_tt2:)

Anyway to keep getting her money she had to do X amount of hours per week job searching (think it was 4) and have it logged and signed by a member of staff at the dole office. Then she got offered a work experience placing at the local college doing admin and she was told she HAD to do this to keep getting her benefits, she had to work 4 days a week for 12 months then at the end got an 18 month full time contract.

Luckily one of the other girls in the office was leaving around the same time as my sisters contract was up and she applied for the position and got it :thumbup1:

Another thing I remember is that while she was on the training scheme the college principal wouldn't allow her to use the staff car park because she wasn't officially employed by the college! so on days it was lashing down with rain or other bad weather and she wanted to go in her car, to save waiting at the bus stop, she had to pay to park across the road from the college, even when she was working over the christmas holidays and the place was deserted :thumbdown:

Im in two minds about this thread, i used to supervise a similar back to work scheme for the then Manpower Services Commission. In those days, the applicants got dole plus a tenner a week for attending. The days were not hard, (not by our standards) but the people just didnt get it, turn up, put in a days work and go home, easy. But they didnt see why they should have to turn up, let alone work. Crews turned over inside a week, they didnt care that their benefits would be stopped. H&S gear, well wellies and maybe safety glasses, I would think wet weather clothing is down to the worker to provide it, and why not?

The long term unemployed need to get back into the working mindset, not fester on State handouts, waiting for someone else to give them even more money, those days should be gone by now.

Im not having a pop at the OP, i think he is trying to highlight a problem with the system, i dont think he is your usual lazy sponger trying it on.

Interesting thread, and a sure sign that government (hidden agenda) of splitting people and having them arguing between themselves while the likes of cameron & cronies carry on making their plans to wreck our country even more, but enough of that I'm not into politics:blushing:

From my own past experience (and this is not saying this guy does not like work or he wouldnt have turned up the second day after being in the woods all on his tod)

Years ago I was approached to take on two boys, I say boys but they were between 18 & 30! the 30 year old was a coach driver who wanted a change of job he said which obviously was not true at the time or he wouldnt have been on the scheme at the time. At least this older person did have more "life skills" than the younger boys but to be honest he was a total liability and was found the day before he jacked it all in, hanging from a ladder upside down when his leg went between the rungs 12 foot from the ground and he was stuck.... upside down. Stop chuckling to yourself, iy shook him up enough to finish and he was supposed to be ex paratrooper:lol:

Another younger boy just didnt have any go at all and would stand watching you struggle, he had to go after he was too dangerous to work with, another boy 20 yo just didnt turn up all week, first day he said he couldnt get up:sneaky2: second day I rang the place that sent them and they told me they had similar trouble with him, yer right nice one why didnt you say & save my time.

Then I had one boy who the very first week we had an hell of a job and worked flat out all week, thinking this would sort him out and he stayed with me for 5 years, great worker:thumbup1: and one you could rely on.

So not all are bad eggs and I think you soon know the good from the bad, but that was many years ago when H&S = common sense not a piece of paper saying you done a few days course and now qualified, them far off days apprenticeships were 5 years or was it 4 years. I have too many grey hairs to remember that far back. Unions fought for rights, people had a conscience, fuel was less than 30p a gallon:thumbup: crisps has salt in a little blue bag and the only takeaways were the local chips shop, no mac donnalds etc and almost every kid was a normal size.

There was going to be a moral to all this but I got carried away and forgot :confused1:

Everyone deserves a chance, it's what you do with that chance is what makes a difference to your next 40 years.

Edited by Old WoodChip

How would you work out he is on more than minimum wage ?? Going on gnarlyoak calculations of £243.20 per week. I would say someone who is on all the stuff jsa/hb/ct I would guess it would approx be £71.50/£91/£18 for a single person which is £180.50 per week. I have not included his fuel allowance as it comes out of this anyway and didn't cover it.

Its not so straight forward and hard to go by set figures for council tax, housing benefits etc as there all different.You need to add the £30 travelling expenses as its extra though, someone on min wage is taking home less than £185 based on a 38 hr week prob even less once N.I is deducted. My main stay though Ian is its 4 weeks, think he said 4 day week:confused1: some schemes are only 30 hr weeks. Don't know maybe being too harsh. Would be no incentive to find work if pay was decent.