Husqvarna 335 xpt (older top handle)

treemugger

Ok folks need some help if possible...

I'm starting out on my own...which means losing my trusty ms200t which will remain with my boss.

Money is really tight as Ive been out for a while with injury, but need a decent top handle to get started. The 200's are too expensive for now but have been offered an older Husqvarna 335 xpt for £150 quid. It seems in good nick and has similar power specs to the 200's but I dont expect anything to match the sthil top handles...

But what I need to know is if the Husky is a good enough going wee saw?

Ive read they have oiler problems...but basically want to know if they are reliable & if they will handle some thicker diameter stuff (like my 200 could)?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a 335xpt a couple of days ago on the bay for just over half what your being asked to pay and although I have never used the sthil 200/020t my first impressions have been very good with a 12" bar and a sharp chain it's capable of chomping through 10" poplar no trouble. the only thing so far is it seems like all the husky Xp saws Ive used in that all it's power is right at the top of its revs and not much torque low down but that's just xps for you. If you can get one cheap enough then i would go for it

I am a Husky man through and through , all my ground saws are the big H . but I have to admit the climbing saws to date have been pants . ( eagerly awaiting the much hyped , much delayed T 4--something ) If needs must then beggars can't be choosers I suppose. I would check out the one on fleabay that Martyn is suggesting . You should be able to save enough for a 200 in the 12 months . you never know you might like the £79 saw !

From the start, I have a strong preference toward Huskys but their toppers are a bit.........crap.

The oiler problem - this is where if you undo the adjuster too much and then do it up again, it bends the oiler shaft.

Other problems have been with the flywheel key which is moulded but may be coinidence.

As much as it grieves me, the MS200 is a better machine and are easier to work on.

Burrell has a Solo topper for sale on this site that hasn't seen much work - you could talk to him nicely!!

I've got three of them in the shed .All were given to me by the trimmers after the oilers went bad .

Now the repair parts are under 15 dollars US funds which consists of a pump shaft and the worm drive .The fly in the ointment is you have to field strip the saw to replace the pump shaft .

If you have the abilty to do the repairs yourself the saw does okay although not as powerfull as a Stihl 020/200T .However if you must send it to a shop unless the saw were free you'd have labor charges that would exceed the value of the saw .