Beginners guide to rigging.......

Adam Bourne

I would personly like to say one thing, NO one in this day and age should be using the old school methods of natural crotch and stem friction control.

There is no excuse the kit is out there and cambium is more vulnrable than you realise.

Fair point Hama,

But I think you have kind of answered your own point - Old School tactics are what Adam is trying to show - the fundamental knowledge of rigging for beginners...

Like... teaching someone to use a prussic before advancing to a hitchclimber... Theyre probably never going to use the prussic but they should still have the fundamental knowledge of a prussic before they use the hitchclimber

Running before you can walk kind of thing.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using the tree to your advantage.......

making rigging work the way you want does require a bit of thought, being creative and using what you have to hand will make things run a lot smoother,

so mapping the tree out in your head looking to see what could be useful and whats not will soon become second nature, leaving things like pegs or whole limbs to redirect your rope to help bring a branch away from an obstacle in the way i demonstrate below,

here i've used a dead peg to redirect the rigging line to help aid it away from the base of the tree were my throw line cube is the first picture is showing my redirect point the rest i used the gopro's timelapse to show the setup step by step working.

GOPR1822.jpg.9ca863dc04f2efadde4d8fef4171b7f0.jpg

GOPR1821.jpg.a09e88878da66b91d9e5d7d84083eec4.jpg

GOPR1820.jpg.210309a68749a5151b555af48f80c828.jpg

GOPR1819.jpg.e82d1bc37c7ab268f45c1b5ef76b725f.jpg

GOPR1818.jpg.10e5a22a1e72dbb24f37bb784ac47c80.jpg

GOPR1817.jpg.d98ace6f263e7fc5760a372c851e475a.jpg

GOPR1816.jpg.90e77111b92cdd658f782d094a87d378.jpg

GOPR1815.jpg.ca04309b2ce7f7b927a43dac54d6cbe8.jpg

GOPR1814.jpg.946dcc24e0cfa84d1b700a563b4294fc.jpg

DSCF2868.jpg.565541b673aee3b7b87389756e63309b.jpg

Thanks tony and tom points taken on both sides.

i have mentioned in one of the first posts that this type of rigging will almost certainly cause damage to the cambium layer and when we progress into adding hardware later we can show how this will avoid these problems.....

realy am enjoying doing this thread.....:biggrin:

Thanks tony and tom points taken on both sides.

i have mentioned in one of the first posts that this type of rigging will almost certainly cause damage to the cambium layer and when we progress into adding hardware later we can show how this will avoid these problems.....

realy am enjoying doing this thread.....:biggrin:

I enjoy doing threads with intent, nice to see somebody else having a go too:thumbup1:

Abit of advice please , I'm picking up a new rope next for verygood money , 7.5 ton braking strain (18mm x 45mts) can't turn in down. What cost is a pulley going to set me back to work this rope and is it abit over the top , don't get any really big jobs. I'm using a 12mm rope to date and its fine.

Peter.

Abit of advice please , I'm picking up a new rope next for verygood money , 7.5 ton braking strain (18mm x 45mts) can't turn in down. What cost is a pulley going to set me back to work this rope and is it abit over the top , don't get any really big jobs. I'm using a 12mm rope to date and its fine.

Peter.

firstly is the rope new or old? if its been used do you know how its been treated do you know what kind of life its had where its been stored? if its new what Rope is it? 18mm will be a bit over the top for small tree's but then it depends what you call small! large Isc 19mm pulley will set you back about £100 and the large Dmm will set you back about £230, depends what you want to spend really.

If you don't get any really big jobs and you're asking about the cost of a pulley then it really sounds like you don't need an 18mm rope anyway. Your 12mm rope, or perhaps maybe a 14mm instead, should suffice. Spend the money on something you need, rather than want.

:thumbup1: good answer....

It's new , in the warehouse only this year , I know the lad , and I was going to get it only because of the price €180.00 euro , he got it in for a guy that never came to pick it up .And I'd be mad not to have it for that money.I know what you are saying about the history of the rope , I've been around rope's and the climbing ind along time.(rock climbing) and safety come's first all the time, go's without saying.

With an 18mm line it's not just the cost of the pulley, you have to factor in a sling to attach it to the tree, a friction device & something to attach that to the tree. All of which have to be rated to be used with such a large rope - i.e. not cheap!