Buzzard "Management" Research to go ahead

Sam Thompson

The thing about good research is that it finds the facts. This is very inconvenient if you've already decided what answer you want to find and it doesn't coincide with the facts. At this point, people tend to blame the research, the researchers, the funding body etc. rather than accepting the evidence.

Alec

I know, but respectable people like the RSPB and DEFRA would never do that surely?! :001_rolleyes::lol:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in SW france we are stacked with buzzards, kites, hen harriers and to a lesser extent hobbies and short toed eagles, and yet other birds seem to be abundant.

the only thing in short supply seems to be rabbits. I am not making a scientific statement just saying what I see.

Wet land drainage plays a huge part in there demise. So called do gooders marking nests and checking them everyday can't help either and surely heather burning at the start of their courtship period has got to be off putting for them and other moorland and hill birds. Just my observation of it all.

We have had a breeding pair for about five years. Usually having one or two offspring. We have lots of lapwings nesting as well as the pheasant & partridge.

Not a problem to the farm or shoot. I wish they would increase their rabbit diet though.

Here In Florida, Buzzards like the Turkey buzzard are pretty much at the top of the food chain as well. Other than Crows, Ravens and Black birds, all scavengers over here for the most part the Buzzard has a monopoly on road kill removal. I have seen other birds chase Buzzards out of their specific air space, but never seen nest raided or the like.

As stated earlier Buzzards are lazy and prefer to wait for their meals to be served to them.

easy-lift guy

i think the research will be interesting, but as others have said the decline in numbers of these species is probably mostly down to farming methods, pesticides, eradiction of hedgerows etc. Its not just the species mentioned in decline, songbirds and bees and buzzards dont eat these.

buzzard populations are increasing surely this cant have such a dramatic effect on the numbers of these species.

IMO they are just being made a scapegoat, i never buy into the view that they damage huge numbers of gamebirds as some gamekeepers claim.

(Im not necessarely against a cull, i also shoot and help the gamekeeper out during the shooting season. just so you know where i stand :001_smile:)

As stated earlier Buzzards are lazy and prefer to wait for their meals to be served to them.

easy-lift guy

Yeah, the reason I said this is that I have flown them, they are bloody hard work compared to Harris Hawkes who like working, all buzzards wan't to do is sit around until a lump of dead meat comes its way:lol:

I have also seen roadkill taken off the road by both Kites and Buzzards right in front of me.

I think the only thing wrong with Planet Earth is mankind, the planet would find its natural balance very well without us, whether it would be how we want it is another matter - I recently heard that the scientists now believe the demise of the Bee is down to insecticides and not mites....:001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes:

Rabbits - where did they come from........The Romans introduced them and look where we are now:thumbdown:

Originally Posted by agg221

The thing about good research is that it finds the facts. This is very inconvenient if you've already decided what answer you want to find and it doesn't coincide with the facts. At this point, people tend to blame the research, the researchers, the funding body etc. rather than accepting the evidence.

I know, but respectable people like the RSPB and DEFRA would never do that surely?! :001_rolleyes::lol:

But have -you- already decided on the 'right' outcome?

If the answer isn't the one you want to see, will you accept that good research has proved your preconceptions wrong, or will you reject the research because it doesn't suit your opinions and claim that the itself research is flawed. If you claim it's flawed, will you do so having proved this in an evidence-based fashion, or just assume it must be because it doesn't suit you?

Alec