Climbing in the common

TreeWalkerDJ

hey all im just wondering what are the laws on climbing in a common near where i live, i have read the sign of what you can and cant do there but it doesn't say anything about climbing trees... does this mean that i can climb the tree legally?

Thanks

TreewalkerDJ

go for it mate! just dont damage anything or be looking for a claim if anything happens, and keep an eye open for nesting bird at this time of year.

I've found that if you ask owners you put them in a position where they have to say no because of the no blame no claim culture, if you say nothing no1's usually any the wiser as to what your doing

I,m in the same predicament Treewalker...i live at Kew and am surrounded by beautiful big trees everywhere but unsure as to wether or not i can legally climb them..it,s ironic that as a child i never asked for permission,never did any dammage...just climbed. Now as a Professional climbing Arborist i,m scratching my head as to what to do...i,ve been practicing with my Spiderjack on a large Ash tree right off the beaten track well away from the public but i have to walk about a mile through brambles,rubbish and it,s not a very nice site..i feel like a kid in a sweet shop who isn,t allowed to eat sweets!

hey all im just wondering what are the laws on climbing in a common near where i live, i have read the sign of what you can and cant do there but it doesn't say anything about climbing trees... does this mean that i can climb the tree legally?

Thanks

TreewalkerDJ

If it's a common managed under the 1925 law and property act then it could be considered legitimate air and recreation as long as the tree is not damaged.

Just climb it, and should anyone come and kick off, then the chances are that you wouldn't be able to hear them, so they'd have to wait for you to get down in order for them to tell you to get down. etc...