VAT exempt PPE

wisewood

Helmets are Vat exempt if you are the end user, as are workboots. If you are an employer buying boots helmets etc for your staff then you pay the VAT. Vat is chargeable on helmet accessories such as visors and defenders, unless the hlemet is bought with them fitted.

If they have conducted a risk assessment, (and by law they should have) and came to the conclusion that safety boota are optional, you can buy them yourself. If they are saying that safety wear is compulsory they have to supply them for you as the law states,

"all employers must make available all necessary safety equipment wherever it is required by safety regulation."

That's to say, if they don't supply safety wear and your opreational procedures require it, they are in breach of basic HASAWA legislation.

Because an employed workman is expected to buy his own boots, but not (necessarily, depends on contract etc) anything else.

Thanks for that Rupe, but why has that been decided?

When I worked as a gardener years back, work boots (not chainsaw) were supplied by the company.

I don't know, I just think it should all be VAT exempt.

Cheers,

Si

This thread covered the topic and answers from suppliers included :biggrin:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/14417-why-we-pay-vat-chainsaw-trousers-2.html in a nutshell, boots and helmets are VAT exempt to end user, other ppe isnt

Ah cheers, I thought it had come up before but failed to find it. Cheers I'll have a read. Si