removing ivy?? Wear A Mask!!

the hedge man

True but after having to watch my dad die of leukaemia I'd rather not die of a cancer. Much better to not know its coming

For sure, but we don't get to decide how we go and if we worry about it we are wasting the time we do have.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For sure, but we don't get to decide how we go and if we worry about it we are wasting the time we do have.

No we don't get to decide but we can reduce/increase the chances of what we die from. Wearing a mask could easily be as routine as putting chainsaw trousers on, I think people tend to disregard long term effects on their health, if smoking caused cancer within a week of starting smoking how many would still smoke, few if any I reckon

Do you wear a mask scotspine1???

Just recently I've been trying to wear one when I think there will be excessive amounts of dust and fumes ie cutting behind a garage on a calm day (2nd pic)

It's very restrictive wearing a facemask when climbing but I've tried it on big removals especially Oak, Lime and Beech where there is going to be a lot of that fine dust created (aside from the regular saw shavings).

We've all done those removals where due to the cross-grain of the timber the amounts of dust we're breathing can be excessive, think about it, your all familiar with this scenario - that dust can't be good for you.

becs.jpg.5ae0c4357bd35c913f5eb65b5197dfd0.jpg

bt1.jpg.cec5e700579a2beb752900721475d5aa.jpg

Edited by scotspine1

No we don't get to decide but we can reduce/increase the chances of what we die from. Wearing a mask could easily be as routine as putting chainsaw trousers on, I think people tend to disregard long term effects on their health, if smoking caused cancer within a week of starting smoking how many would still smoke, few if any I reckon

Have you tried wearing a mask when climbing?????

Have you tried wearing a mask when climbing?????

Yes, many times and due the the physical nature of the job it is very restrictive on your breathing.

A few weeks back I wore 3m dust masks on two multi-stemmed beech removals for the entire time I was in the trees. Both trees took about 4 hours each, lots of cutting, lots of climbing (up and down the multi stems) it was very frustration wearing the masks.

Been trying to work out a solution to it - bike courier masks etc, haven't found one yet.

Yes, many times and due the the physical nature of the job it is very restrictive on your breathing.

A few weeks back I wore 3m dust masks on two multi-stemmed beech removals for the entire time I was in the trees. Both trees took about 4 hours each, lots of cutting, lots of climbing (up and down the multi stems) it was very frustration wearing the masks.

Been trying to work out a solution to it - bike courier masks etc, haven't found one yet.

I've worn one climbing Plane's, it was awful :thumbdown:

I'm no to worried about myself, but my boy starts with me this year, he's only 16, he could have 60 years of cutting in front of him :thumbdown:

It was obviously very frustation writing the sentence.

We do a shite job which hammers our bodies, but we can take precautions.

Breathing OUT when the dust is really flying may be old-fashioned, but is a good start.

It was obviously very frustation writing the sentence.

cheers mark :001_smile:

Breathing OUT when the dust is really flying may be old-fashioned, but is a good start.

wood dust is not good for you, add oily 2 stroke fumes and fungal spores being released from the tree as you cut it and you got a potentially very harmful effect on your lungs (over time)

Remember arb is a relatively new profession and the long term effects of breathing in dust/fumes/spores for decades are still to be seen.

Forestry loggers were usually dealing with softwoods, so less dust. Plus they normally worked in windy areas where the fumes/dust wouldn't get trapped unlike tree surgeons who are normally working in confined areas.

cheers mark :001_smile:

wood dust is not good for you, add oily 2 stroke fumes and fungal spores being released from the tree as you cut it and you got a potentially very harmful effect on your lungs (over time)

Remember arb is a relatively new profession and the long term effects of breathing in dust/fumes/spores for decades are still to be seen.

Forestry loggers were usually dealing with softwoods, so less dust. Plus they normally worked in windy areas where the fumes/dust wouldn't get trapped unlike tree surgeons who are normally working in confined areas.

That's why I breath out.

Darwin anyone?