2 year old ms200t walking towards the light!!

grantdude

I am in North Herts and have helped out a few members with their saw woes in the past. I am not a business but know how to fix most issues with saws.

Hi, so far have spent 3 lots of £40 quid on this issue. Wondering if the postage, parts and labour costs will out weigh buying a new one and keeping this for future parts. Its not a sentimental saw although it the first saw i bought when starting my 2 year old business.

If the saw has two years on it then it should have years left. As far as the previous amounts paid, it seems a common issue for some to charge for repair and then walk away from it when the issue isn't resolved but there are always good and bad repair shops.

I will PM you what I can do for you but is entirely up to you what action you take and don't chase work, it is a hobby for me and only take on around 2-3 saws a month.

This is an interesting one, but, as Spud says, it should be fixable.

As it was OK before the handle was replaced then its logical to think that the problem lies there. The major items which could have been damaged before or during the repair are the impulse tube, fuel pickup pipe and the inlet manifold boot.

My first check would be the manifold boot. Once disturbed they often dont reseal properly as the rubber has hardened. It could be that as it warms up it deforms a little, letting in a bit of air.

The MS 200 t is however well known for its 'finicky' carb, so it could be coincidence that this is playing up and not connected to the handle repair. It is often possible to clean and tune them, only for them to fail again. Its sometimes better just to slap a new carb on. I prefer to fit the old 020 type carb as its cheaper and more reliable IMO. I always keep a new one in stock, putting it on is real quick and provides a cheap diagnosis of the problem, if it works I know it was the carb and nothing else.

It would appear that my faithfull little money maker is wandering towards the big white light. It has had a busy life with a few knocks now and again(as they usually do). It has had a new handle fitted due to a miss timed chog down. Since that day It has never been the same. Running issues pretty much ever since . I have had into three local garden machinery type shops, who charge me £40 ish and tell me its ok and just needed a clean and a tweek. Usually works fine for a good twenty mins then back to its old tricks. starts but wont run, when it does run and then cuts out it has to be choked before starting again. gotta keep pumping the throttle or else the revs just die and cuts out. If a new carb is needed why has these 'machinery boffins' not worked it out and how m uch am I looking at for a new carb. Was thinking of using it for spares and breaking the bank for a new un! any thought?:confused1:

I had similar issues with my last two 200t's as you have had.....at one point they were being taken in to my local shop nearly every week for a 'clean and a tweek'. I eventually bought a 201t as I was so fed up. Sent the 200's off to f.r.jones to see what the real problem was, and both saws had scored pistons which the local shop somehow didnt pick up on. Definetly worth finding a top notch saw man to look your saws over :thumbup1: