Long felling lever suggestions?

Pasty Muncher

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oregon one from Jonesie. Has a decent slot for the hook to rest in when its being carried, rather than semi-bent around the bar.

Does bend a bit, but hate to think how thick and heavy it would have to be for it not to. Haven't broken it yet.

If you want it for actually aiding felling rather than just rolling timber, just use a short ratchet strap, choke the strap end ~5ft to 6ft up and attach the ratchet end to the handle with a choke etc, you will get much more force than just lifting it/pushing down on it by hand. :vroam:

Probably the biggest felling lever i've seen is Reg Coates felling lever. Not sure if these are in production still though or not. I think there may be a couple kicking about though

Can't find any with a quick search. I think it was one of these I used to use back in the day - it was steel, half inch by inch and about six foot long. It was a bit mighty to carry around all the while, but a useful bit of kit when needed!

If you want it for actually aiding felling rather than just rolling timber, just use a short ratchet strap, choke the strap end ~5ft to 6ft up and attach the ratchet end to the handle with a choke etc, you will get much more force than just lifting it/pushing down on it by hand. :vroam:

A bit of both really, thinning some quite big stuff out so it will inevitably hang up whenever it can! Never tried your method, but it definitely sounds worth a try thanks

Oregon one from Jonesie. Has a decent slot for the hook to rest in when its being carried, rather than semi-bent around the bar.

Does bend a bit, but hate to think how thick and heavy it would have to be for it not to. Haven't broken it yet.

Just been looking at those as I've heard good things about them. Not too dear either! ( hope he's not reading this or he'll put the price up!)

I use one of the big felling levers and definitely wouldn't swap it for one of the small ones. They seem a bit pointless to me tbh.

It's important to make sure you don't put any sideways force on it when you give it some welly because that will definitely bend it. Otherwise they seem OK and I don't think there's much difference between the makes.

It's true that the bigger bars can be a tight fit, but it's easy enough to open up the kerf a bit to get it in.

I have the Sandvik one (i think:blushing:) i would need to check to be sure, but i would go for the oregon one if i had the choice again because the hook on mine is rubbish although it is pretty solid and i cant bend it. I am just a little guy though:001_smile: