Arb business start up

fishbone

Hi

I posted a similar thread in general chat but didnt get much response, I think I was possibly in the wrong section..

I'm interested in starting up a business based in Ruislip, West London. I'm interested to know about the best routes into the industry, how best to aquire the relevant skills and knowledge. I'm not expecting to go straight out and tender for the big jobs, just start of real small. What I'm attempting to ascertain is how viable in financial and practical terms it is for me as a 32 married, mortgaged and 3 children guy to follow a dream. So I'm asking you guys who have been there and done it how you think I should do it. I built up and ran an electrical contracting business (hated it though) and with hindsight I'd have not wasted so much time on certain things in that process andam hoping to glean some similar wisdom here.

PS

Sorry to ramble on so much. just have loadsa questions!

Regards

Dan :001_smile:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what's you're background? Done any arb work before? If not I cannot recommend starting your own business until you've done a good few years working in the industry with good experienced climbers/groundies and the like.

It takes time and experience to know how things work, 32 is a decent age but going straight into running a business without the experience is not the wisest thing to do

Not trying to be negative, more realistic

Sent from my Galaxy S2

I should go onto add that if it is a dream, look into doing some work, volunteer if possible, at the weekend whilst still working in type usual job. You'll get a feel for it better

Also look into courses like the rfs level 2 in arb, and obtaining cs tickets

Sent from my Galaxy S2

And lastly, it's an ever expanding (exponentially IMO) industry that is slowly getting saturated, and the journey if you do decide to take it will be a long and hard one. Think about how that will be on your family, way up your happiness vs financial stability for them

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Is this career intended to provide the primary household income? I'd be concerned that if you're coming into it from the construction industry, your existing financial commitments could well already be far beyond the earning potential of the arb industry. That's the main thing which stops me from diving in full time.... that and when it's sluicing down outside I prefer to sit at my warm desk and still get paid....!

Ok, my background.

From 16-21 served as an electricians apprentice

21-27 worked as a freelance "subie" electrician including a couple of years as running my own business direct to domestic and commercial clients

28- present day I work as a full time firefighter. This was the realisation of a long term dream job for me. I've never looked back since and its motivated me to bit by bit build the life me and my family want. It is a 48 hour week but due to the fact its shift work involving nights i get good time off. I love the outdoors, am a keen shooter and fisherman and always had a real keen interest in arb work. This begun at age 12 when I would take my Dads axe over the woods and fell a few trees! That however will not appear on my official CV! I'm lucky that I dont need to make mega bucks right of as I do have a paid job.

Iv got experiance of running a business

Dealing with arseholes

Working to regulations

Working with heavy machinery and cutting gear

Working in dangerous environments

First aid to IEC level

Ropes, knots and lines

and how to dig a big hole and jump in it, so dont want to do that again!

Anyone can do anything if they apply themselves...!

Prerequisites then are going to be training - CS30, 31, 32, 38, 39, 40, 41 - that will run to several thousand pounds.

Insurance, EL & PL, maybe £500 to £700 ish...

Equipment, saws, climbing gear, PPE, again, several thousand

Vehicle - small van

Experience - this will cost the most as you're going to need to give time up for free to get some.

You could also do a formal qualification, that obviously has costs associated with it as well.

It's going to be a long, expensive and potentially poverty stricken road, but if you want to do it then go for it!

Stick with what you already know!

I have electrics as my back up, not the other way round! I see it as a cheap and easy way to make a living.

If you cant make it in electrics then stuff tree work!!

And lastly, it's an ever expanding (exponentially IMO) industry that is slowly getting saturated, and the journey if you do decide to take it will be a long and hard one. Think about how that will be on your family, way up your happiness vs financial stability for them

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Probably the best most apt statement I have read on this forum in a long time, RobArb, did you go to the same school as me and David Cardin ? I think that's how you spell his name, you know, grass hopper, blind man with white eyes who kicked the b Jesus out of every one, in fact that was the teacher grass hopper was the student, with a bold head,when they crossed his path, and told it as it is, a bit like you, and me:lol: Confucius say only fool climb trees:001_tt2: Just remembered his name was Cane :thumbup: