Replacing Yale Imori

Gnarlyoak

Hi Folks,

I bought a Yale Imori rope just last September, which this week "failed" its first LOLER after 6 months from new inspection.

It failed mainly due to the rope fibres being cut in several locations along its length caused by accidently being "spiked" whilst climbing! It also was failed for the secondary reason that one end of the rope exhibited a "soft" section which in my opinion was wrongly interperated as a fault when in actual fact the rope need milking.

The milking issue is by the by, I accept that the numerous spike damage does affect the integrity of the rope to some degree.

I liked the imori for the sensation of being a thicker rope of lighter construction compared to my previous rope Yale XTC. The XTC though was by all accounts virtually bomb proof and lasted for years!!.

The imori was allright but I'm inclined not to replace like for like if its only going to last 6months! Though I'm not sure I really want to go back to a chunky 13mm rope again.

So I'm considering trying an 11.7mm rope, such as Yale Blue Tongue or Poison Ivy. Does the 0.3mm difference between them and the 12mm imori really make that much of a difference?

I should point out that my climbing style is still old school, no shiney gizmos and gadgets, just a 10mm Silverstreak prussic.

Your thoughts and recommendations most welcome ladies and germs.

It has nothing to do with the rope construction or longevity of a given rope. If you spike it you spike it, end of!

Be more careful where you place the gaffs or put a small krab on your harness and run the tail of the rope away from you and the gaffs.

I have a number of ropes, including Imori. Not a problem and been using it since it was launched. Mind I try not to stick my gaffs into it! ;)

Like Rich said..On spikes,Careful where you tread. I Use Blue tongue all the time now...Through my Spiderjack it flows beautifuly and feels great in the hand. I have also used it with an O.P Prussick..this Rope is amazing! it is so lightweight and knots very well...and my favourite thing about it is it,s markings...you can,t miss it. it looks like some sort of Psycadelic snake following me round the tree...LOVE IT!!

It has nothing to do with the rope construction or longevity of a given rope. If you spike it you spike it, end of!

Be more careful where you place the gaffs or put a small krab on your harness and run the tail of the rope away from you and the gaffs.

I have a number of ropes, including Imori. Not a problem and been using it since it was launched. Mind I try not to stick my gaffs into it! ;)

Totally agree Rich, sticking your rope with spikes will quickly bugger it up, and I'm not decrying the construction of the rope itself.

Have been told by someone else about putting a small krab on the harness to run the rope tail out of the way of those pesky spikes. Cheers for the tip, I will be trying this in future on my NEW rope. :thumbup1:

Like Rich said..On spikes,Careful where you tread. I Use Blue tongue all the time now...Through my Spiderjack it flows beautifuly and feels great in the hand. I have also used it with an O.P Prussick..this Rope is amazing! it is so lightweight and knots very well...and my favourite thing about it is it,s markings...you can,t miss it. it looks like some sort of Psycadelic snake following me round the tree...LOVE IT!!

Yeah Silky, must admit the I am a bit smitten with the psychadelic look of the Blue Tongue, something that stands out as much as this may help me to avoid sticking my spikes into it........ maybe! :blushing: