Your worst fencing job

Rich2484

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id be intersted to see pics of that on your holder. i like the idea of the p30 as youv got all the adjustments but in a smaller package. what weight did you end up getting. is it quite heavy duty build?

I was hiring a big Wrag with rockspike the other day on a 120hp tractor, whacks big 10 inch strainers in no probs but its not exactly subtle or manouverable when doing awkward runs.

I use the haynes wire strainers with 1.5meters of chain for tensioning barb and a netting clamp and haynes clamp strainers with 6meters of chain for the netting, if its a flat run i tye the netting of at one end and tension of at the other end, sometimes if its undulating i tye the netting at both ends and use two clamps in the middle of the run and join the netting using gripples or haynes crimps. I find gripples can't get the netting as tight just on their own without using the clamps to get the tension first, I can strain 400m at one go with the clamps. what post knocker do you use?

protech p200s on back of a case mx110. Our wire roller keeps nets quite tight so grippling is easier when we roll by hand you do get alot of slack but never had a problem best we have managed is 6 100m nets in one pull of 6 gripple points we find the longer the pull the beter they work. We can get nets realy tight with them. with barb we tie of at a strainer roll net to next strainer put a loop in it hook onto a chain on knocker ease forward with tractor then pull it tight by booming the knocker in. Works a treat you always have to pull out of inward corners. Do you have a knocker on a digger? Are they good whats it like putting strainers in?

James

protech p200s on back of a case mx110. Our wire roller keeps nets quite tight so grippling is easier when we roll by hand you do get alot of slack but never had a problem best we have managed is 6 100m nets in one pull of 6 gripple points we find the longer the pull the beter they work. We can get nets realy tight with them. with barb we tie of at a strainer roll net to next strainer put a loop in it hook onto a chain on knocker ease forward with tractor then pull it tight by booming the knocker in. Works a treat you always have to pull out of inward corners. Do you have a knocker on a digger? Are they good whats it like putting strainers in?

James

not so good really, the concept of a digger mounted postdriver is brilliant if you have the right model, obviously the bigger the digger you can have a bigger hammer but then you start to lose the ability to go into awkward areas so you must as well just have a tractor one, IME i find the combination of a big tractor mounted one for the big strainers and hard ground and a mini digger one for awkard access/soft ground etc the perfect combination. I don't think any machine can do everything.

Prety smart set up you will get into some rare spots we are generally fencing in flat ish big open fields. How do you come un with strainers we can knock a 8 ft 7inch strainer 4ft in the ground in 5 mins into clay. When i first started had a parmiter could take upto half a hour. lol must admit protechs are a good machine to use

not so good really, the concept of a digger mounted postdriver is brilliant if you have the right model, obviously the bigger the digger you can have a bigger hammer but then you start to lose the ability to go into awkward areas so you must as well just have a tractor one, IME i find the combination of a big tractor mounted one for the big strainers and hard ground and a mini digger one for awkard access/soft ground etc the perfect combination. I don't think any machine can do everything.

Id love one on a digger but we would use it once in a blue moon tractor mounted is best for us but like you say you carnt get everywere with a big tractor. Do you do alot of fencing?. were very busy this year been at it solid 2 months now.

Yes its all about finding the machine which suits your location isn't it? do you fence fulltime or tye it in with other work? about 50% of my work is fencing. mainly agri and post and rail. very rarely do domestic/closeboard etc.

I used one of those parmiters once, it was a horrific experiance. it had a manual postclamp and manual mast adjustment. it took a few mins just to get the mast and post in the right place. It was rubbish (even worse then my digger) for strainers. I have a hydraulic auger to go on my digger if its hard ground or a big strainer I have to pilot drill the strainers with a 4inch auger. I drill all the holes then put the knocker on and they go in quite easily after that. not ideal though.

James

iv never used a wire roller. what are they like, i guess they best really for field fencing?. how do you attch the wire to the strainer once its pulled tight. do you staple it or tye it off? Those tclip gripples are brilliant for this, but they are quite costly- looks neat tho!