Is honesty really the best policy!??

Czlowiek Drzewo

your a professional and you gave a professional answer - your honesty will give you a good reputation in the long run.

A classic situation ive encountered is - "ive got a dangerous tree and i want it felled"

looking at tree i say "why do you think its dangerous?" "it was swaying in the wind" "swaying at the top or from the base" i said,while checking for rootplate lift etc-

"swaying at the top" "I cant se a problem" i said "what would you do if it was your tree"

"I wouldnt do anything to it" i said - well thank you for your advice

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well your either honest or a blagger and if it's the latter you may as well be a full blown blagger and hoodwink the customer for every penny they have.

I think some people are mixing up being honest and doing what the customer asks. I'm all for doing what the customer wants but when they ask to cut down a dead tree and it's not I would hope most would tell them it's not dead!

Well your either honest or a blagger and if it's the latter you may as well be a full blown blagger and hoodwink the customer for every penny they have.

I think some people are mixing up being honest and doing what the customer asks. I'm all for doing what the customer wants but when they ask to cut down a dead tree and it's not I would hope most would tell them it's not dead!

:congrats: succinct but sums it up nicely I think.

What if the client believes it dangerous, and hypothetically they get in 3 professionals. One says the tree is full of fungi and should stay, one says its got fungi and requires a crown reduction, crown clean and future maintenance (the mOre costly option over time) and the third recommends that the tree is indeed dangerous, and should be felled asap and fairly expensive. All have been honest in their appraisal, all have differed in professional opinion, each think the others opinion are bordering on dishonest/unprofessional and are over charging.

What is honest? WhIch is a cowboy? You decide. :biggrin:

What if the client believes it dangerous, and hypothetically they get in 3 professionals. One says the tree is full of fungi and should stay, one says its got fungi and requires a crown reduction, crown clean and future maintenance (the mOre costly option over time) and the third recommends that the tree is indeed dangerous, and should be felled asap and fairly expensive. All have been honest in their appraisal, all have differed in professional opinion, each think the others opinion are bordering on dishonest/unprofessional and are over charging.

Any combination could be honest and feasible. I think it boils down to what the client hopes to achieve, their budget, and finally giving them options rather than saying 'you need to do this or that'.

Quite, I have been to see trees and said to the client that I could stand here and make a convincing argument to fell this tree, and another one to retain it, and both would have genuine merit, I think the key is to listen to the client; what do they want?

Well one of the costumers who i quoted work for yesterday got back to me.

She asked if i would like a testimonial and this is what she sent.

Re TREE:TMENT Tree Surgeons

I was worried about the size of a beautiful Cedar and requested a quote for removal from TREE:TMENT. Martyn came out to give a quote but reassured me it was not necessary as it was a) safe and b) the roots were not damaging the house. I was extremely impressed with his expertise and honesty as he was obviously doing himself out of a job - a rare thing these days. I would recommend TREE:TMENT to anyone who is thinking about having a tree removed as you will get honest advice and NOT someone who wants to rip up trees for money.

Tamara

well chuffed :001_smile: