do i or dont i??

tree-Rossi

hi everyone!

i currently have a full time job but am really wanting to set up on my on so im looking into getting a van get bits of equipment that i dont already have and start getting out there.

ive been offered work on weekends by a mate who runs a local firm but only if i go self employed so that fits into this aswell.

im looking at getting my own insurance and go self employed see how much work i can get etc and see how things go before dumping a safe job any info on good insurance etc would be great i know theres a loads of you clued up in this so any help would be much appreciated many thanks :thumbup1:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

many many threads like this mate... id do your homework first and get all the facts and figures including the law together and see what you think. you couldnt of picked a worse time mate really with todays market though. how much work could you get private as well as a subby?

many many threads like this mate... id do your homework first and get all the facts and figures including the law together and see what you think. you couldnt of picked a worse time mate really with todays market though. how much work could you get private as well as a subby?

What "law"?

Do it at the weekends and you run the risk of being sacked from your job, thats a law that your employer can use!! Its called gross misconduct.

What "law"?

Do it at the weekends and you run the risk of being sacked from your job, thats a law that your employer can use!! Its called gross misconduct.

Why? If he is going self employed aswell there is nothing wrong with this so long as it is declared with a p60 every year and declared. I do both self employed and working for a building company. No problems with this.

If he workd full time and cash jobs at weekend then it could come into effect as moonlighting.

What "law"?

Only if his contract specifically excludes it. If it doesn't, and his actions don't bring his full-time employer into disrepute, then it's not gross misconduct. :001_smile:

If you are full time employed in an industry then any part time work in the same industry can be seen as gross misconduct.

Its not against tax law if hes all self employed etc. and its not against the law to do it, but the employer can use employment law to get rid of him.

I'm not saying dont do it, just sayign dont worry about what laws are involved, just get on with it, and if you get sacked then it was a bad idea and if you end up with loads of work and you dont need your full time job anymore then it will have been a good idea.

The decision you take must depend on your circumstances i.e are you married with kids & mortgage, then leaving a safe job is very risky. If you live on your own parents/renting then go for it, what have you to lose? Good luck

If you are full time employed in an industry then any part time work in the same industry can be seen as gross misconduct.

Its not against tax law if hes all self employed etc. and its not against the law to do it, but the employer can use employment law to get rid of him.

I'm not saying dont do it, just sayign dont worry about what laws are involved, just get on with it, and if you get sacked then it was a bad idea and if you end up with loads of work and you dont need your full time job anymore then it will have been a good idea.

In the absence of a specific cause to exclude the employee working for other than the employer, the employer would need to show the employee's actions were in direct competition with their business and so likely to harm them. Restraint of trade clauses are prima facie void, with the onus on the party relying on them to show them as 'reasonable'.