Anything need doing to this oak?

Stereo

Question

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336259272.211482.jpg.4720fa69bf248c0024a8490763ebf36c.jpgI've got this oak on my land. No targets so no real worries about falling limbs. It's a bit of a landmark and many people have said it looks like its reaching out to grab the sky. I just worry about all the dead material on it.

• Answers 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Fell it, it's cluttering the view up with all those dead branches and stuff anyway. It amazes me that any tree work ever gets done these days, save the ivy, save the deadwood, leave a monolith, this is the mainstay of work in this trade!!you are talking yourselves out of work!! or is that it? You don't actually want to work, you want to talk about them all day and not actually do anything? Fine if you're LA and getting paid to do nothing, but in the private sector, we actually have to do something to earn our money, strangely, people actually like to see something done for their money! Shock horror!!:biggrin:

Fell it, it's cluttering the view up with all those dead branches and stuff anyway. It amazes me that any tree work ever gets done these days, save the ivy, save the deadwood, leave a monolith, this is the mainstay of work in this trade!!you are talking yourselves out of work!! or is that it? You don't actually want to work, you want to talk about them all day and not actually do anything? Fine if you're LA and getting paid to do nothing, but in the private sector, we actually have to do something to earn our money, strangely, people actually like to see something done for their money! Shock horror!!:biggrin:

context andy, its all about the context:001_rolleyes:

Enjoyable to look at?????? Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder! As I've said elsewhere, if we were to go around refusing to remove ivy, not cutting the deadwood, or leaving dead trees standing everywhere we would soon be out of a job. I do concur that there is a need for habitats to be left but not every where and not every tree. We need to get down the dead and dying, get replanting to replace stock for future generations to enjoy, if not our current veterans will die out with nothing coming on behind. The gap now between veterans and new stock is vast, the old guard will be falling apart with nothing semi mature to follow on.

I've no intention of cutting it at all if not required. I've just seen so many big oaks with all the dead wood taken off, I wondered if there was some new thinking that it was good for the tree or somesuch.

In terms of the view, I suppose you can argue that it's clutering it up but then you could go on and knock over the ancient woodland behind it, flatten the hill and then the next and the next and the next until you get to the midlands. Not sore the LEA would agree though.

Sorry for the derail Stereo, I should know better :001_rolleyes: in this instance, leaving the tree be is the right thing to do, I was just being Devils advocate, and stirring the pot a little, though I do stand by my opinions perhaps this wasn't the thread to be quite so vocal.