What to cost a job at?

kev84

Personally Id go for a day rate for a number of reasons.

A per metre price this is fixed ie you are going to do a set distance, so why not just give the final price? I dont see any benefit in per metre.

If you are going to try to estimate the time taken, you should also consider that as you get toward the end of the job, fatigue will set in and everything will just take longer so don't underestimate the time. Again though, an open ended day rate solves this problem.

My day rate for work like that would be at least £110 possibly more depending on the circumstances.

You say you cant get a bobcat down there, but what about a micro-digger? Micro Excavator 725mm width., Item number: 2797352946, Category: Mini Digger - erento

There are loads of small kit that can do a big job, so just look around for the right one.

The last thing my back would want me to do is shovel it!

Regards

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't anybody make a bucket for small machines with a disc coulter on the side for this sort of job?

If not, then they ought to.

easy peasy lemon squeezy. :biggrin:

When you have made one, send me the royalties, you read it here first. :laugh1:

Wide range of advice here; many thanks lads its much appreciated. Think Ill go with an overall price. As one suggested, it is labouring, regardless of the effort involved. Im going to look into hiring a mini digger/bobcat; maybe get the parish to close the path and then work out an overall price. If they want it, great...if not, it remains their problem path. Certainly don't fancy digging it out, especially with horizontal rain most days and galeforce winds over the moor!

Thanks again for all your suggestions. Good site. My son is just finishing his Arboriculture course at college, so Ill put him onto this forum.:thumbup1:

I'd be careful not to overprice this one.

It's basic labouring. There's no skill, no training and no artistry required. There's no no fuel cost and no real wear and tear on tools (except a spade, shovel and broom).

True - if you have a lot of tools and training you're covering those costs, but you can't expect to cover them against jobs that don't warrant it (if a lawyer took a second job as a window cleaner they couldn't expect £200/hr just because it was their normal rate).

The going rate for unskilled labour is little more than minimum wage. I would be surprised to be paid more than £10/hr for this kind of work, and be pretty certain someone else would do it for less.

The other way around is decide how much it's worth to you and price it at that. If you get the job, you're happy.

Alec

Well maybe the better option is to price it and get some cheap labour in to do it. There's plenty about at the moment.

While it isn't a skillful job, it will probably still require use of hedgecutters to cut undergrowth back, it will still need to be covered by insurance and if someone else is on the job then the person running it will need to have EL insurance in place to cover them. Bear in mind also that this job is roadside on a busy road, and to comply with H&S from point of view of protecting whoever is doing it, then there is likely to be a need for coning and signing as well as proper hi-vis gear. Round these parts, a whole lane of the A27 has been closed in the past to enable 'operatives' to safely clear litter.

Can't price without seeing the job, but 500 metres of shovelling compacted soil and grass off a path and clearing undergrowth back is a lot. I'd say the estimate above of 2 men, 2 days for £600 is way off. I'd probably suggest £3/metre and see what happens!

Admittedly I've not seen that job but have done a lot of very similar ones on estates that we've taken on. Doesn't take that long to do edge down the curb edge with a spade vertically, then second mand shovels up. I would hope to do it in a long day but would price for two just in case. half a mile is nearer 800 metres so £2400 u'd be rich if you can get many jobs like that.

R

Admittedly I've not seen that job but have done a lot of very similar ones on estates that we've taken on. Doesn't take that long to do edge down the curb edge with a spade vertically, then second mand shovels up. I would hope to do it in a long day but would price for two just in case. half a mile is nearer 800 metres so £2400 u'd be rich if you can get many jobs like that.

R

Dunno why I read km instead of miles! Dim moment, just for a change :blushing:

Still think it's worth pricing high, what with being alongside a very busy main road etc.

Hi mate dont sell yourself short on this one !This is only labouring but can be bloody hard graft . Do a test piece just to see what your up against and price it right and do a good job .Please let us know how you get on .Atb Roy

i would allow at least 3 days for 2 blokes,maybe get a nipper as well,i would price it at £1200,unskilled labour or not,its still gonna be bloody hard work and boring as hell,but the end result will look great,a total transformation.