100ft poplar pollard

testcricket01

I cant help thinking that the "other companies" know a lot more about how to turn a job into profit, and when thats not going to work they dont they dont quote.

Booking in cranes on jobs that rely on other companies/agencies etc. is a sure fire way to lose money, plus you cant predict the weather in advance and choose the right day.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did you want TM???

i take it the TM is traffic management well i need them because, A i dont feel comfortable working above a live road, especially on poplar and doublely because its a pollarded poplar all dead sticks snapping off as you move around it its just completely unsafe without traffic management why take the risk its not worth it. drop your hand saw hits a car, snapped branch goes through windscreens list is endless what could happen. and B crane companys wont lift above roads without traffic management anyways.

I cant help thinking that the "other companies" know a lot more about how to turn a job into profit, and when thats not going to work they dont they dont quote.

Booking in cranes on jobs that rely on other companies/agencies etc. is a sure fire way to lose money, plus you cant predict the weather in advance and choose the right day.

probs right there, but i think if your a tree surgeon your trained and job is to do what needs doing to trees. you cant pick and choose what makes you the most money and do that all the time. im still gunna make a substantial profit on this job so why turn it down. i put the price in i think its wrong for someone to offer a service they get asked how much to do this and they dont even stick a price in.

Just watched the video, fingers in the cut at 1.20 !! I'm not shy of one handing but I dont put my fingers in the cut with the saw, especially with a crane lifting the load.

But, I think you were probablly a bit nervous and stressed about the whole thing, so stuff can happen like that. Looks like lots of space underneath, I would have rigged the whole thing and kept the crane money even if it took longer, that way I can wait till decent weather and do it when I felt like it.

probs right there, but i think if your a tree surgeon your trained and job is to do what needs doing to trees. you cant pick and choose what makes you the most money and do that all the time. im still gunna make a substantial profit on this job so why turn it down. i put the price in i think its wrong for someone to offer a service they get asked how much to do this and they dont even stick a price in.

No, I think that is their perogative, and right, to put in for what they want. But, yes if they advertise that they do any kind of work then they should, but they definatly dont have to.

The job is to make a living, not just to do what people want.

testcricket,

thanks for starting the thread, it's created a lot of good talking points on how to approach a job like that.

Re the final cuts, are you sure the consultant didn't request cutting back to branch unions at the very least rather than just below the previous pollard knuckles? I'd be checking the report again.

Given the circumstances and situation of the tree you did really well. You'd be welcome on my staff any day mate.

I dont pick and choose waht makes me the most money, its not all about that, I do nice jobs for nice people for less money, but you have to have 2 out 3.

Money, people (customer usually) and the job itself.

2 out of those three need to be good. Any one of those being good is not enough to make up for the other two. IMO that is, thats just how I like things to be.

Just watched the video, fingers in the cut at 1.20 !! I'm not shy of one handing but I dont put my fingers in the cut with the saw, especially with a crane lifting the load.

But, I think you were probablly a bit nervous and stressed about the whole thing, so stuff can happen like that. Looks like lots of space underneath, I would have rigged the whole thing and kept the crane money even if it took longer, that way I can wait till decent weather and do it when I felt like it.

Yer i was cacking my self not going to lie im scared to death of heights always have been!

That was the other option rig it out but i looked at it with couple guys they both thought the same its a hard 1 to climb around also would have needed traffic guys for longer than if you used a crane so we weighed it up best crane and traffic but they werent allowed on that date so screwed that up royally

testcricket,

thanks for starting the thread, it's created a lot of good talking points on how to approach a job like that.

Re the final cuts, are you sure the consultant didn't request cutting back to branch unions at the very least rather than just below the previous pollard knuckles? I'd be checking the report again.

Given the circumstances and situation of the tree you did really well. You'd be welcome on my staff any day mate.

I agree with Tim, good job, loud saw!!