Show us your Arb boats

Al Baker

Graeme

That looks a great boat.

Is that the Barrow in Ireland?

I walked the length of the Grand Canal and also hired a narrow boat on it a many few years later. I have always dreamt of travelling the length of the Barrow. Where did you start and finish? Did you camp?

John

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graeme

That looks a great boat.

Is that the Barrow in Ireland?

I walked the length of the Grand Canal and also hired a narrow boat on it a many few years later. I have always dreamt of travelling the length of the Barrow. Where did you start and finish? Did you camp?

John

Hi John

Yes thats the one. Its a really nice paddle and offers two quite different trips depending on whether or not you use the lock gates which circumnavigate the many grade 1-3 rapids or opt to paddle the river. You can portage the locks or hire or buy a lock key.

I have done it twice with groups with varying appetites for excitement and it works well. You get a chance to stop at the locks and inspect nearly all the rapids although there are a few whitewater sections that last for a couple of KM.

Conditions on the river sections can change very significantly with differing water levels - many of the rapids are old broken weirs and there are potentially dangerous stoppers, underwater obstructions and fallen trees / strainers. The last weir before St Mullins was very dangerous last time I was there, with a big river wide stopper in full flow. I think there have been some fatalities here so one to treat with caution. In good conditions though it is a fantastic trip which feels wilder than it is. I last paddled here in 2009 but the lack of boat traffic was very noticible and I think RTE (Irish TV) did a documentary about the lack of maintenance on the locks some time ago.

You can print an excellent (essential in the boat reference) section by section guide to the river here IWAI - The Barrow Navigation

There are lots of opportunities to camp if you are self sufficient. Quite a lot of the banks are wooded. Many of the locks are in nice rural locations with flat grass areas. On one trip we camped unexpectedly in a field after a member of the group capsized late in the day - the farmer came down to say hello in the morning really pleased to see us and said to come again anytime!! We started at Clogrennan, one camp was at Ballyellen lock if I remember correctly, there is also a nice large area to camp just before Graiguenamanagh which has a coffee shop, small supermarket and a good second hand bookshop.

Don't rely on easily finding drinking water. Some of the taps mentioned in the guide were not working. We brought all our own.

Both times we finished at the tidal limits at St Mullins which is a nice wee place with a pub/restaurant at the take out.

I hope this helps. Any questions let me know.

Graeme

PS wee pic on one of the river sections to whet your appetite

IMGP0310.jpg.b5757711a435f7b17438e2a5aaae1c32.jpg

Here's one of mine

Just got one tonight of ebay, it won't be the first, its just sorted my summer fun, had all sorts in the past, even put them against my tax:lol:, may do the same with this one, had dorys, raiders, and sailing craft, done lots of diving, and water skying , but most of that water went up my ARS:lol: Diving last i nearly died:confused1: got narked right out@ 35m 0 vis on a drift:thumbdown: it poped my ear drum, no more diving for me.:thumbdown: this one is just a small boat . Don't know how to post picks, i will have to ask TMT. but one thing in this crap year, i am going to have some fun, :001_tt2: ever seen a fat arborist on a donut:thumbup: