Scrappy Yews

scotspine1

What would you do with these Yews? about 100 years old. They are growing over the driveway, and delivery vans and bin lorries are hitting the branches. The homeowner was talking about felling them or drastic pruning, I'm thinking of binding them up with wire to create narrower crowns, anyone ever done that?

There are large oaks behind which would be good for setting a pulley, tie a running bow round the Yews(seperately) choke the branches all together using a pull line redirected through the pulley on an oak use a 4x4 for the pull, then tie the wire and release the rope. thinking maybe three rows of wire on each tree. They're about 25 ft tall

Any thoughts? thats the top of a spruce in the background on the top left side of the right Yew.

597653af2fc29_yew001.jpg.e9a5e5088be846d1d4823c84e6480fd7.jpg

Edited by scotspine1

I have wired a few Yew over the years, mainly in church yards. I find the best way to gather them in is with ratchet straps. :001_cool:

Then wire them up and release the straps. I'd put a wire around every 2 - 3 feet up.

Edited by Ben
additional info

I'd just reduce them back, with all the epicormic growth on yews they should re-grow quite nicely, albeit very slowly. I once did a pretty brutal reduction on a big yew ( what they wanted and no talking them out of it ) It looks ok now about 4 years later. Wire will cut into the stems and if it breaks over time the branches wil flop all over the place as they will have got used to it.

I used Cobra bracing on an Irish Yew, just put it round as has been described, but will need renewing ever 5-7 years or so, and if ever released the tree will flop as it will not develop the strength to support its self.

I would prefer to reduce,

Wired the Yews up, 3 rows of plastic coated wire on each tree, some light pruning afterwards, thought they turned out alright - homeowner very pleased with the result.

Used a 4x4 to choke the running bowline which pulled the branches together, the rope was re-directed through a pulley(on large Oak behind Yews) at the same height as the trees, wire was wrapped round and tied and then the rope was slackened. Whole job took about 4 hours, the rigging and lining up the rope was the most time consuming part. Next time will try large ratchet straps.

Before and after -

yewb.jpg.dfb6f215e1cc181439e25d8448225745.jpg

yewa.jpg.64af88ba63c62320f0162e306de47737.jpg