speach less!

Craig Johnson

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok the YouTube video was already placed into the public domain, the faller has had ample opportunity to remove it from you tube. If you drive down the road, take a picture of a badly pruned tree to slate another, then that will cause friction onsite, maybe leading to threats of defamation, libel, whatever against the poster and the forum, which we don't want. that's why we have rules. And it's Steves site and he says so alright?!?!?!?! :001_rolleyes:

Ok the YouTube video was already placed into the public domain, the faller has had ample opportunity to remove it from you tube. If you drive down the road, take a picture of a badly pruned tree to slate another, then that will cause friction onsite, maybe leading to threats of defamation, libel, whatever against the poster and the forum, which we don't want. that's why we have rules. And it's Steves site and he says so alright?!?!?!?! :001_rolleyes:

fine by me, i have no problem at all with it just curious as to why ?

thanks....:thumbup1:

Wet day and no smoking getting to you? :biggrin:

no mate just wanted a general debate, see no harm....:sneaky2:

good for others to see though make them realise abit more before posting.....all good banter/debate/chat in my eyes...:thumbup1:

End of subject in my book!!!!!!!:thumbup1:

ok then....:biggrin:

so run this rule by me again................:sneaky2:.....JOKE!!!!!!!!!

• 3 months later...

Just come across this debate,don't know how I missed it the first time. Having lived in York all my life and having worked for this uni in the passed I thought I might give some history.

As I understand it the trees were originally topped back in the 70's. I think it was 1995/6 when we got the job to deadwood and make safe. We used a mewp (theres loads of room on the pavement) and had very little problems with traffic etc,think we did it over 2 days.

Before we quoted I climbed a cpl to have a look around and see what was up there. Just about every tree had cavities some badly decayed with some seriously dangerous limbs. It be came apparent that this was just what some within the uni wanted to hear. So we have to fell them then.

I came up with a plan. Fell the odd really bad tree, Take out the odd dangerous limb, reduce the sail by way of light reduction and dead wood, plant a new avenue of Limes further back within the grounds and over the years keep taking out the worse trees.

The uni did not like the costs but in the end decided to go down that route.In comes the local newly qualified TO with the auger in hand ready to start testing the trees 1m from ground level,"this will tell us if any tree needs felling Mr treeman" .First tree snap, no more auger. Would you like to use my new shinny "Arborsonic decay detector" madame tree officer or how about climb the ladder or go up in the mewp and have a look. In the end she agreed with everything except the light reduction. It became apparent that the council owned another line of Limes on the other side of the road.Don't know how I missed them and at this moment in time the council did not have funds to do the same work to their trees. Therefore the uni reductions would spoil the avenue. The Uni agreed and hence our spec became,deadwood and fell 1 tree.

I never saw the pics that were put up on this site but I suppose the first pic probably showed the trees as we had left them some 16 yrs earlier. To my knowledge the trees have not been worked on since and there as been no major failures there was always a bit of dead wood dropping but that was usually after a decent wind. So I guess I picked the right limbs to remove (more luck than management, there was that many). I think the job cost about £1500 back then plus what ever it cost them to plant the new ave that there gardeners put in. So all in all less than £100 a year for all them trees not bad I suppose.

York survives on tourist's and students (try buying a stihl in town.lol) and the uni's seem to get away with anything these days. It was no suprise when I saw what they have now done.In my opinion the contractor won't have had a lot of say in the spec if there is any blame it should be the consultant, LPA and client that agreed the work. I do know of the contractor who did the work,they are not from York but do most if not all of the work for that Uni. This job has been discussed with a good few contractors from York and I can't find one that saw the spec or priced it (not to say there is'nt one). How much do you guys reckon for the work? a good few grand and how many can say they would not have done it, for the price to that spec, if they had been offered it. I know I would have.

Anyway its done now,still think they could have done a light reduction although some one had a closer look than us and it got passed. Given the extent of the spec and the fact there is a new ave planted maybe they should have just felled the lot.

PSt.The Castle is on the opposite side of York,It's the bar walls you were thinking of..lol