Komet Butterfly Help

Mr Fowler

Hello everyone! First post and all...

Was just wondering if anyone can help me with an irritating problem I have...

Sometimes when climbing, the rings on the bridge of my Butterfly harness get stuck in between the D shackles...

HB3CC_200x200.png

... and the bit where the bridge connects to them.

As you can imagine, this sometimes makes for uncomfortable sudden drops of 2 inches when the rings slide back to the middle of the bridge. It's not the end of the world, but I find it annoying, so any suggestions on how I could sort it out would be awesome...

Ta! :biggrin:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you have oversized rings on your bridge. The standard ones wont go over the shackle.

Not sure there is a real answer as the standard smaller ring wont take two carabs. This was the main reason I stopped using mine though.

Only thing I can think of is see if you can manage with one carab attachment system, and use the smaller ring.

Not sure if that helps, but welcome anyway.

They don't get stuck on the shackle, they get stuck on the bit where the bridge attaches to the shackle, because after that attachment point, the bridge gets thicker, if that makes any sense?!

Not got over sized rings, got the standard one and fitted an extra one of the same size to make life easier.

Is there anyway I can fit a different bridge to the Komet shackles, or can I get something to replace the shackles alongside a different bridge? Or do I have to eventually bite the bullet and get a better harness?!

Thanks for your help anyway 18 stoner!

Do you mean the bit where the bridge goes thinner near the end where the sheathing finishes?

If so, Im not sure there's much can be done with that bridge. Not sure about changing it for something else as it may not be suitable for that harness.

Someone else may help on the suitability point.

The harness is a good one though, my favourite TBH.

Bite the bullet and get a better harness. My last 2 harnesses were butterflies and i used to think they were good, how wrong can one person be?? Now i dont have bruises on my hips and flaky skin because i bought a good harness this time. Treemotion all the way for me now, i will never go back to a butterfly

Do you mean the bit where the bridge goes thinner near the end where the sheathing finishes?

If so, Im not sure there's much can be done with that bridge. Not sure about changing it for something else as it may not be suitable for that harness.

Someone else may help on the suitability point.

The harness is a good one though, my favourite TBH.

Yeah thats where I mean, thats the annoying bit! I like most other aspects of the harness, if I could just sort that one bit out i'd be a much happier person.

Bite the bullet and get a better harness. My last 2 harnesses were butterflies and i used to think they were good, how wrong can one person be?? Now i dont have bruises on my hips and flaky skin because i bought a good harness this time. Treemotion all the way for me now, i will never go back to a butterfly

The Butterfly hasn't done me any damage apart from the odd trapped you know what if the leg loops aren't quite tight enough, but I do like the look of the Treemotion, looks like Alfred designed it for Batman, but also looks v.comfortable . Unfortunately, I will have to wait until I'm working full-time / doing more days in July when I finish college!

Every person is different when it comes to favourite harnesses, there's no hard and fast rule.

As a suggestion if you are waiting until July, why not go to one of the arb shows later in the year, where you can try on many, many different harnesses and get one thats best for you?

Every person is different when it comes to favourite harnesses, there's no hard and fast rule.

As a suggestion if you are waiting until July, why not go to one of the arb shows later in the year, where you can try on many, many different harnesses and get one thats best for you?

Yeah that does sound a good idea, I may just do that, thanks!:001_cool:

Get a petzl swivel instead of your ring(s) - you only need the little one as it will take a large karibiner (but make sure you install it the correct way round, as there is a rivet head that needs to be in the loop attached to the bridge or the krab won't fit properly). They don't seem to stick and also help prevent rope twists.

Get a petzl swivel instead of your ring(s) - you only need the little one as it will take a large karibiner (but make sure you install it the correct way round, as there is a rivet head that needs to be in the loop attached to the bridge or the krab won't fit properly). They don't seem to stick and also help prevent rope twists.

Not sure that will overcome the issue of it falling into the narrower part of the bridge though. Due to the radius of the loops on the swivel, it may even be worse than the rings.:001_huh: