TPO Farce

delabodge

flustrated beyond belief,,,,,,,got asked to take down a tree locally the other day,,as its a oak thought i`d ring and check TPO,,,,(normal procedure) my reply was "we`ll give you an answer by tomorrow lunchtime? I said either there is ? or isnt?

next day......... 12am nothing? so ring,,,,,shes busy with somebody else,,,,,(in the pub),,,,1.30pm,,get a reply saying yes she`d seen a note on her desk to ring me but hadnt had chance,,,,,so I asked again is there>? or not,,she said she was searching for paperwork!,,,,

3.30pm message on 121 ,,,yes there is a tpo? funny as my client had been into council and checked(I was double checking) she(client) explainded the reason, movement in dwelling,insurance refusal!,,apparently tree officer said should be no problem,,,,,

I ring back and say this system is flawed!!! if everytime I ring to clarify ! you wack a tpo,,,on then I`m stuffed? ....she says ,,this is the law!....I say have a nice weekend,whilst I find four guys work for monday!!! I cant write my flustration,,,,:sneaky2:

Did you tell them your intentions???

If you just ask about the address and not specific trees, also when asked about extent of works, crown lift tend to go down well :), its surprising how many customers decide they'd prefer a remove once work commences ;)

And if there is a survey that shows movement in the house causing subsidence (or risk of) and therefore insurance problems, then all that evidence goes on the application, and if the TPO is lifted then you have a job.

I can see its frustrating that you didnt get a straight answer straight away though.

to be honest lads,,as much as I like this job(treework) and like the fact the customer wants me to fell and make them something from the job,,its a nice tree! and a shame its to be felled,,,I hate seeing good trees come down,,,, but,,,,,,,,,,I checked yesterday,,as had feeling there would be lots of complaints,,so wanted to cover my arse,,,,,,,and am angry council decide to slap one on,,,,if its such a good tree why wasnt there one on it?

and as rupe points out,,there seems to be a valid reason for its removal,,so hey ho,,i will have to wait for six wks,,,,unless they create a new rule,or exception,,,,lol

Just a thought, had the papers been served on the client???

The TPO does not come into force until the land owner has been served with the papers.

I had one a few weeks ago where I had 2 of the 3 trees down before the papers were served, no offence committed.

to be honest lads,,as much as I like this job(treework) and like the fact the customer wants me to fell and make them something from the job,,its a nice tree! and a shame its to be felled,,,I hate seeing good trees come down,,,, but,,,,,,,,,,I checked yesterday,,as had feeling there would be lots of complaints,,so wanted to cover my arse,,,,,,,and am angry council decide to slap one on,,,,if its such a good tree why wasnt there one on it?

and as rupe points out,,there seems to be a valid reason for its removal,,so hey ho,,i will have to wait for six wks,,,,unless they create a new rule,or exception,,,,lol

They dont go round putting TPO's on tree that are nice. Usually there needs to be a threat imposed on a good speciment tree for a TPO to put on it.

I asked the tree officer the other day if a homeowner, who loved their trees, could ask for TPO's to be put on them to prevent subsequent owners of the property from felling them. The answer I got was NO, it doesnt work like that. But if those same trees were under threat then a TPO could be placed on them. All the TPO means is that procedures need to be followed before it can be removed/worked on.

So, if I call the TO and said I wanted to cut down an oak next week, is there a TPO on it? HE would probably say there will be one on it by tomorrow (hence why they didnt call you back for 24hrs) because I have just notified them of a threat to the oak tree. (not applicable to some species)

At least with the TPO in place you ( or the owner) can fill out the forms, gie the evidence, and then if and when its lifted you can proceed with the felling and not feel bad about it.