Windsor

David Humphries

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's always fun/interesting to look at these historical images and attempt to see if they genuinely portray a view, a scene or an item of interest which actually existed - ie, are they accurate!

this particular William Frith painting is a perfect example of this. There's historical evidence that Henry (and Ann, most probably) spent many hours hunting in the Forest at Windsor, but the painting shows the castle as it was post-1827 - perhaps we're looking at the ghosts of Ann and Bluff King Hal !! (and where the hell's Herne the Hunter when you need him??!)

A bit of historical reference to the site and the oaks

Here's Anne Bolyne (second wife and mother of Elizabeth the 1st) and Henry the VIII deer hunting next to what looks to be an old Oak on the estate at Windsor.

Thats a fine find indeed Mr H:thumbup1:

just makeout Windsor in the background, in fact one could probably find that spot with some ease (if the painter was accurate)

this particular William Frith painting is a perfect example of this. There's historical evidence that Henry (and Ann, most probably) spent many hours hunting in the Forest at Windsor, but the painting shows the castle as it was post-1827 - perhaps we're looking at the ghosts of Ann and Bluff King Hal

This is justs Friths representation.

He died in 1909 & painted this just after the turn of the century.

I'n not sure what his inspiration & access to older referenced paintings was.

• 1 month later...

update - meeting with Head Forester, Windsor on 19July to discuss plans for the use/future of the oak seedlings. They are still doing very well, despite the hot weather, and the HF has indicated he would be pleased to take them all for use in planting projects within the Windsor Estate, to be added to those they already have.

I'm certainly looking forward to hearing about the Estate projects - and if allowed, I'll update again with a few details.

Tony - don't worry, I haven't forgotten your request! I have reserved a batch of nice plants for your own project - keep an eye on your PMs for further info. :thumbup1:

PS - just checked those pots which had failed to produce a seedling after 15 months, only to find 6 new seedlings which have emerged since !

• 1 month later...

After nearly two years, my little collection of oak seedlings have reached the point in their lives where a 7-inch pot is no longer appropriate for their continued development. If they are to make it as mature forest trees, they need to really start spreading their root systems into good quality open soil, and get those branches reaching for the sky.

as per my original intentions to give these trees back to Crown Estate, I contacted the Head Forester with a view to discussing plans for their future. He was delighted to be offered the trees, and arrangements were made for their collection and transfer to a managed nursery located in the grounds of Frogmore, next to the House. I was given a guided tour of the nursery, and was delighted to see that my trees would be joining others sourced and grown on from the same tree, which had also been collected during the spectacular acorn season of 2011. Of the greatest interest to me was the sight of a large plot of land which was fully planted up with standard oaks (in the 3-6ft stage), all being grown on for future plantings in and around the Great Park. I was informed that it is the intention of the two nurserymen at Frogmore to separately plant out all of the oaks grown from the seeds collected from Offa's Oak (including my own trees) and grow them on to standard size, after which they are to be used for 'heritage' planting schemes, based on their genetic inheritance from the oldest oak at Windsor, if not in the country.

I was informed by the Head Forester that one of the ideas they were looking at was to use these special trees to create 'roundels' of c25-50 specimens, with the important caveat that all trees would be planted in their final and permanent positions, at nominal 25metre spacings. This vital step is to maximise the end-result of the planting by removing the need to thin out any of the planted trees at any future stage in their hopefully-long lives. This is exactly the concept I had hoped for myself, and so to hear this was music to my ears!

and so, preparations for the departure of my oaks were made: all pots de-weeded, top dressing of bonemeal, a good watering, a few photos, and hopefully no tears when they are taken away!

My wife, Dawn, gave the oaks their last preparations at our home in Staines - I have to say she's been wholly supportive of this project, despite having to spend an inordinate amount of time helping me with their care during the last 22 months, not to mention the loss of our driveway and her carport, the dirty hands and chipped fingernails, the slugs and snails, toads, cat and fox poo ... - she's been a diamond!

e45d42af7cca4357e2c08bf42d22a400_6766.jpg?dl=1377882348

Crown Estate sent a vehicle and long trailer to collect the trees a few days ago, and we were able to provide them with exactly 300 healthy specimens to take away to their new home, and their future lives.

b3810e8ab20b97ad1130c655ca78fc8e_6767.jpg

I have to say, its been a project which began as a fun, but important, project. Offa's Oak has not produced a batch of acorns such as this in living memory, and so it was important not to waste the opportunity presented to us. My Dad was wholly involved with it from day 1, from collecting the acorns to planting hundreds of them in Ted Green's trial nursery at Cranbourne. We talked a lot about plans and hopes for these trees, and how great it would be to see something permanent (and memorable) done with them.

Whilst the oaks project was progressing, we were having to deal with the difficult issue of two family members battling cancer. One was my dad himself, and the other was Dawn's mum. Within the space of 9 days at the end of April 2013, we lost them both. When I had my meeting with the Head Forester at the Windsor Estate Office, I made a request. It was one that I had intended anyway, but took on a far greater significance following Dad's passing. I suggested that, for a theme, the newly-planted roundels be named after previous Foresters of the Windsor Estate, and that one of the roundels be named after my Dad. The Head Forester indicated he thought it was a good idea, and he would now pass it onto the Deputy Ranger, with whom the final decision will rest.

so it's fingers crossed, and I hope I get to see 'Fielder's Copse' in its full glory in the years to come. As a memorial to a man for whom the forests of Windsor and the Great Park was his whole life, it would be the most fitting, and lasting, of tributes.

be62436c5d3f099002ca5f17c737e3e6_6768.jpg

rest in peace, Pops.

Edited by lowerforest
picture adding

Really nice post

Very sorry to hear of your loss but really pleased that the estate is keen on the idea of the memorial.

I'm sure your father would of been very humbled by the idea.

Thanks for updating :thumbup1:

Do you know if the estate plan to pollard any of the trees?

[quote

rest in peace, Pops.

what an amazing and inspirational project and post. To have a tree let alone a group of trees bearing ones name is an honour and im sure a befitting memorial to your Dad......im sure hes looking down and very proud of what you have done.:thumbup:

David - I haven't discussed the future management plans for the roundels in any detail - I'm just waiting to see them prepared and planted up before asking any more questions! To be honest, my personal preference would be for the trees to remain as park oaks, although I can easily see the argument for managing them as pollards, especially in the 'heritage' sense. Maybe it will be possible to do two types of planting - roundels/park oaks for landmark plantations, and compartment/pollard plantations to demonstrate and preserve the art, management and history of oak pollarding?

Sean - thanks for the comments :thumbup1:

also, Tony - your 10 trees are doing just fine, and I'll be in touch very soon to arrange their delivery/collection.