Windsor

David Humphries

I trust we're not talking commercial here ?

Looking good though :001_cool:

no not commercial at all, my own little experiment, if it works I will go into it as a business, species specific locally sourced Mycorrhizal inoculations, not soley but as a string to the eco bow:thumbup1:

they are loooking gooood, and what a pedigree!:001_cool:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on a slightly different subject i was asked last year to turn some of the wood that came from windsor and the surrounding crown estate and ended up having an exhibition in the savill gardens shop in may 2012. this not only sold lots of bowls but seemes to have got me in the door as they want me to do more.

i had a wonderfull tour of the whole estate with a gentleman called jim taylor who is one of the more senior forestors and showed me some magnificent examples of ancient trees including the two oldest oaks pictured and as soon as i saw them i was in awe of their majesty...

there were a couple of other specimins that were off the beaten track that i glimpsed as we were driving around one being a huge beech that was about 4-5' across and almost perfectly cylidrical for 30' if memory serves, i'd never seen such a large beech that had no sigh of age to it per say and still loked quite youthfull in its appearence appart from its huge size.

one of the things that i'm turning at present is lots of brown oak and i wondered if it would be possible to find out if this tree has any pictures standing.

it's been in the swinly forrest yard for 15 years so i've been told and just counting the rings in one 18" bowl i got up to 350 and that was not the center of the tree. i estimate that the tree could have been 4-5 hundred years of age but i could be out a fair bit on that. sadly i dont have a plank that went from the pith to the bark.

do you think there is a possibility of tracing this tree???

re the brown oak - I will have a look, and a quick chat to the staff when I'm next in the woodyard. I saw your work at Savill, btw - very nice.

Tony - i'll be very interested to see how your plants progress using your personal 'techniques'. Compared to how I'm doing it, (ie - the very basic way haha!) I would hopefully expect to see some positive differences in overall growth in two years, resistance to mildew etc, and maybe I can glean a few tips for my next venture into growing another batch of saplings from the same source - assuming that the acorns are forthcoming once more. (20+ years is a looooong time to wait!)

Edited by lowerforest

erm, you could say that! I lived in the cottage next to it for 36 years.

nice pictures BTW - although there's been some changes to the ground layout around the tree's perimeter in recent months. Ted G will give you all the gen if he hasn't spoken to you already about it.

Hi, My names Dan steel, I'm an Arborist On the Windsor Crown Estate. I know these trees quite well and visit them as much as I can really.

I know all the trees on that video, they truly are increadable.

Tony - i'll be very interested to see how your plants progress using your personal 'techniques'.

documenting it as I go, they will be two years old at innoculation, going to leave one or two untreated as controls.:thumbup1:

I have lost some due to several issues now, down to 5 really good ones now, ones that didnt bud burst (2) AND 2 that appear to have died but may break/flush again after the tap roots removed.

the remaining trees will be recieving their first tea on the 2oth june

I could do with a few more so ican have some with tea and myco, some tea only and someno treatments, 5 saplings wont make an article for publishing.

any chanceme picking say 10 more up?

(20+ years is a looooong time to wait!) I will be sixty when they are giving some back! only a long time in our time though:001_cool:

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Awesome Table Set Dude.!! Craftsmanship Is Rare To See These Days But Refreshing To View It , Skill Right there. Do you do Totum Poles Too?? Take Long to make??

hi drew87,

thanks for your comments and in answer to your question i do what ever the customer asks, providing i can get hold of the wood. i've not done a totem pole yet but that could be interesting. of course it would only be turned and not as traditionaly carved as i'm no carver. the biggest i've done were the two porch post that you see in my avatar picture at 9" square and 48" long.

items varey in their time to create but they only took about 3 hours for the larger items. this is stretched over a couple of days to give the wood time to move if thats what its going to do.

Hi, My names Dan steel, I'm an Arborist On the Windsor Crown Estate. I know these trees quite well and visit them as much as I can really.

I know all the trees on that video, they truly are increadable.

hi dan,

i have a question for you, what happens to most of the trees that are felled on the estate?

i know quite a few go for firewood as the estate uses it and sells it also but i would like to know if any get used for lumber to sell?