Am I to Old?

kinojango

Im after some advice whether you think im to old or not to start a career as an Arborist?

Im 36, 37 this year and I completed my CS30/31 back in 2008.

I worked on the trees for around 2 years but due to the wages not being that great (£70 Daily) I couldn't survive and had to do something else.

I really miss the work and I really want to get back in to it, Im looking in to doing some other course to help me on my way, like CS32, CS40 and a couple of day courses, Basic Tree Survey, Report Writing and Tree Inspection and maybe some kind of distance learning course.

Im in a position where I could buy a pick-up, chainsaw and a few basic tools etc .

Im thinking I could do a couple of days a week as a subby to get some experience plus do a little on my own.

I also have a small yard with a garage where I could also do a bit of firewood.

Please advise and give me your opinion as I feel im caught between a rock and hard place.

I think many experience, qualified guys are working for £70 a day at the moment mate so you would be on that or less!! In some areas the industry is on its knees.

My advice would be advertise hedge cutting and garden work and start a small business with your recently purchased pick up and tools.

Good luck.

I wouldn't be looking to start a career as an arborist at any age the way things are at the moment in this country.

Alot of people have said this on the forum but it must be in certain areas or somthing, I started on my own in 2009 when it was all kicking of and my buisness has steadily grown, trees/hedges will always need work and if you can offer another service (fencing in my case) and you do a good job how can it go wrong.

Although to the OP if you can't survive on 70 quid it might me hard to get things going as you probably won't get work everyday, why not go to Norway to get some savings get a decent truck forget the chipper and keep the money as a backup and grow your buisness steadily.

Alot of people have said this on the forum but it must be in certain areas or somthing, I started on my own in 2009 when it was all kicking of and my buisness has steadily grown, trees/hedges will always need work and if you can offer another service (fencing in my case) and you do a good job how can it go wrong.

Although to the OP if you can't survive on 70 quid it might me hard to get things going as you probably won't get work everyday, why not go to Norway to get some savings get a decent truck forget the chipper and keep the money as a backup and grow your buisness steadily.

Aaahhhhh..... that might explain where I'm going wrong!

^^^ :thumbup1: However, work is quiet on fencing round my way at the moment due to the fact we do such a good job with big posts, a metre in the ground, and strong closeboard fencing that it doesn't fall down. And the problem is that the people who want cheap are getting builder in to do it, and they're whacking up pre-made crappy panels.

Kinojango, in a lot of ways you have an advantage in that you're at an age where you have a bit more life experience than a youngster, and you know more about the true cost of living, etc, and how much you really need to earn to get by. I'd definitely forget the chipper for now - just get someone in with a chipper to help clear up on bigger jobs and include the cost in the quote. Put the money instead into stuff for garden maintenance and fencing.

As for climbing....well you know what your fitness levels are, and how much you can do, so it's up to you. If you find it too much then bring in a climber when needed, and again include that in the quote.

Edited by Pedroski

Ha iv just realised Iv mixed up this thread with replying to another:blushing:.

Unless you are a very efficient/experianced groundsman you might not get alot more then £70. Climbing is mostly a young mans game if your starting fresh. Without sounding rude it will take you at least three years to become a good tree worker whether on the ground or in the tree to be able to command more than £70.

How about looking into garden maintenance or somthing where you could start on your own with a smaller outlay than tree work and maybe sub for a tree company a few days here and there as a groundsman, it would be varied work and you always have the opportunity to move into trees as your own client base and experiance grows.