The diary of an obsessive compulsive arborist

I thought maybe my two no1 fans was having a little play!

my count froze, and was going up as soon as I mentioned it, then only every third post.

I know what those two are like, they loves a game! wasnt being melodramatic was saying the games up boys!:001_tt2:

and even then my count for the day is on 15809 a lot more posts Ive made today, but its software issues im told, not the boys twisting with my melon!:lol:

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst carrying out a literature review I came upon this in "Diagnosis and prognosis of the development of wood decay in urban trees" Francis WMR Schwarze 2008 page 158 para 3

"Some authors postulate that wood decay evolved slowly, beginning with the soft-rot fungi from which white rot and subsequently brown rot fungi evolved (Worral et al. 1997)

This is at odds with my understanding of the evolutionary progress of the Fifth Kingdom and at the moment do not understand why authors should make such an assumption. In my limited understanding yes soft-rot fungi which origionated in water came first, but surely with 94% of brown rot fungi being limited to the more primitive Gymnopserms this is folly. Angiosperms evolved much later and some authors suggest that white rot evolution was responsible for the prevention of lignified remains and coal creation during the carboniferous period.

what say thee?

Dear friends, the time has come for me to leave, its not something I do gladly the past few days have given me much to think about and mull over but for personal reasons my time on this forum has come to its natural end.

Please keep up the good work your all doing, don not lose sight of all the things I have shared with you all, remember the tree is not a singularity, from root hair to leaf it is immersed in all manner of life forms, and it needs nearly all of them to thrive.

I regret that I never really even got started on soil, the fungi are but just a portion of it, bacteria, nematodes and many other organisms make up healthy soil communities, so read up and wise up, you will be surprised what you uncover.

For all my friends, when you need me, youll find me, it wont be hard, i am a noisy begger!:lol:

be good, be safe and go well Arb-soldiers:thumbup:

Im going to miss this place.:001_cool:

597661d6d2243_WW16th92012164.jpg.85dd1ed31b32fff5f0151a5dc3d70159.jpg