small landy problem!!

Matthew Storrs

Fuel issue, filter, pump, stop solenoid could have had it. Carry a spanner that fits the injector in pipes union when it does it again undo the fuel pipe and turn over if no fuel fuel problem. You will have to fault find from there, start at the tank and work through to injectors.

Sound advice, you need to check the fuel lines for wear or some thing rubbing.

If its between the tank and pump then it will suck air, if its between the pump and injectors it will probably show as a leak.

It could also be the filter full of crap or even water. Do you have a drain plug on the bottom of the filter.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about cut off. I don't think so and have never come across one.

Diesel engines only need two things to make them run fuel and compression so it can only be one of these things.

Try the compression on hot engine easy to do with a tester and takes 5 mins. Once that is done and it comes up ok it's only a fuel issue.

Again start from the tank and work forward throu the system, if I was near you I would have a look for you.

When was the filter last changed?

I changed the filter about 6 months ago if that so I can't think its that, funny thing is this problem happened in october and there was a loose wire on the bulkhead (not sure of its purpose) and it seemed to go away until a few days ago but I checked that same wire again and its not loose so Im assuming it was just a coincidence the first time.

HI DRT we had the same on our 200tdi 110 it was it was fuel pipe on the tank taking in air and a mate had it on his TD5 filter the copper o ring on the filter taking in air all the best mate jon

ah right, thats interesting, did it struggle tho when you tried to restart it cos of the air in the system? I think I obviously need to do some inspecting in the morning. sounds the most likely cause tho. Its totally unpredictable too it could go miles without any problems then happen twice within a few miles.

Cheers for all the advice:thumbup1:

Yeah sounds like it.

Again go for a fault finding excercise and start at the filter. I would change th efilter again as I service all vehicles very 6 months, oil, filter and fuel filter.

Again go for the hand pump and place fuel pipe into a clear container or bottle and pump through fuel looking for air bubbles as you go.

Seeing as it stops after a run and takes its time to fire up again I would say there is a slow blockage and the fuel is taking its time to fill pump back up. It might do it once in a trip or it could do it a couple of times.

Try and get your head away from electrics the only electrics are going to maybe be a stop solenoid on the pump, this fault would be diagnosed by the engine failing to start at all or stop.

It could only be fuel at this stage without testing the system out or the compression when the engine is hot.

sounds like the wire running to bk of pump when it happens put a live feed straght to it from the battery. when it dont have a 12volt feed it cuts the fuel off.

Do NOT do this.....

The feed is not 12 volt it is 2 maybe 3 volts. Put 12 volts across it and you will fry the solenoid. Then you will be paying for another one, use a voltage tester on it first to make sure there is power going to it.