stihl hedge cutters

Tigger the Trigger

It's quite a lengthy task, but I usually try to sharpen them a couple of times. I use a round file to get right into the corners.

I suppose it depends on their uses. If you do both neat hedges and all sorts of other stuff too, brambles, verges etc, then it might be worth having two heads. One for the good stuff and one that gets the abuse.

We have a 1994 HS75 with the original blades. We sharpen them once a month as we use them for everything. From neat hedgecutting to knocking out a patch of snowberry to ground level. The only thing we have had to replace on it is the air filter, spark plug, fuel filter and coil.

You can sharpen loads of times. Dont let them get blunt, so you dont need to sharpen too hard.

That way you keep them sharp all the time, they work fast and use less fuel.

You will know when they need replacing as the teeth will start to break off.

I use a 4.5" grinder with a 1mm thin cutting disc. You should not really use a cutting disc for grinding, but as it is only light work it seems fine. I have done this hundreds of times with no misshaps and it does a great job.

Piece of cake to sharpen them. Round file, start from inside edge and stroke outwards twisting file at same time. Just 3 or 4 strokes on each side of each tooth. Set the blade to the gap is as big as poss when you do one side, then set the blade to get big as poss gap on the other side - makes it easier. We use the same blades for years of heavy use, and the cut perfectly. Only thing we do find is that the blades need sharpening more often as time goes on as the hardened edge goes. But they're certainly not a disposable item.

I think I would top myself sharpening hedge trimmer blades with a file!

A quick buzz with an angle grinder (flap disc type) does the trick.

A few sharpens then I bin the blades for new ones.

It's quick and easy with practice. Work mate and I have races. We're down to about 3 minutes for all teeth.

I'll quite happily take your old blades off ya and pay for postage so hang on to them!