TW18/100G Conversion from pull start to electric?

Sal

I currently have a TW18/100g chipper with a pull start and see that there is also an electric start option on the same model.

TW 18/100G

As I struggle to start the thing, I wondered if a conversion is possible/plausible and if anyone has experience of this? Cheers - Sal :001_smile:

Anything can be done to a Briggs Vanguard, but it depends how much cash you want to chuck at it.

You will need

Flywheel with ring gear ( around £220 plus vat)

Starter motor. ( around £ 100

alternator stator

Votage regulator

Key switch

Solenoid

Battery

So you can see it will cost quite a bit, probably best to get a donor engine off fleabay, but make sure its the same code.

Probably more than I'd want to spend on it to be honest, but thanks for the quick reply.I will take a look on ebay though, I just seem to find the pull start too long and haven't quite got the hang of it yet.

Thanks again - Sal

Believe me Mozza that's first thing on the wish list but it's not paid off for another 8 months , so we're stuck with each other for the time being. (I do get chipper envy though.):001_smile:

And yeah it is a pig to restart if its been running a while, glad it's not just this one!

• 5 years later...

I have had a TW18/100 pull start since 2009. It used to start first or second pull when cold and five or more when hot.  I recently took it back to orange plant who i bought it from to get the recoil housing repaired as the bolts had sheared due to the immense pressure needed to pull the cord. They did the repair but were unable to start it unless the drive belts were detached from the rotor. I can start it but it takes two people using a extra length of rope looped around the toggle. All this means i cant do small chipping jobs on my own. i would like to have it converted to electric start but dont know of anyone who can do this. Any answers would be appreciated before my hernia gets any bigger.

• Like 1