Mobile sawmill - pros and cons

TreeNuts

I'm about to submit a grant application for a mobile bandmill - so money no objecy :001_smile: - that can be towed behind my Landy and wanted to discuss the pros and cons of the main contenders, based on anyone's experience with these machines.

Regarding the WoodMizer, I hear they're a powerful machine, but servicing and support in the UK is apparently a right PITA.

Was told that another good machine is the one used by the MOD, but cannot remember the name. Possibly LogLogic?

Anyway, any advice on what's hot and what's not would be most welcome.

Depends where you are treenuts, competition and all that! But Woodmizer good, service, back up, help, parts excellent ! I have working knowledge of welsh and s.e. reps could not want for better .

• Located in Mid Wales.

• Plan to offer felling and low impact timber extraction (Alstor 8x8) combined with mobile sawmill service to estates, SSSI's, nature reserves and private land owners. Although, I'm open to suggestions about other types of clients to target.

Obviously, I was seriously considering a WoodMizer, but having heard a first-hand account of their apparent slow servicing response time in Wales, I began to seek out alternatives, preferably British alternatives. What appeals to me about the LogLogic is that it is made in Britain. Has anyone ever owner/used one?

Depends where you are treenuts, competition and all that! But Woodmizer good, service, back up, help, parts excellent ! I have working knowledge of welsh and s.e. reps could not want for better .

Arbwork, do you supply/service Mizers by any chance? Wouldn't mind having a chat.

• Located in Mid Wales.
  • Plan to offer felling and low impact timber extraction (Alstor 8x8) combined with mobile sawmill service to estates, SSSI's, nature reserves and private land owners. Although, I'm open to suggestions about other types of clients to target.

Obviously, I was seriously considering a WoodMizer, but having heard a first-hand account of their apparent slow servicing response time in Wales, I began to seek out alternatives, preferably British alternatives. What appeals to me about the LogLogic is that it is made in Britain. Has anyone ever owner/used one?

I haven't owned one but I have seen it working in the flesh.... I did a couple of shows with Loglogic (Graham and Marcus) and they had their autotrek on site. But they're not cheap - around the £40,000+vat ,mark I think?

I thought it an awesome machine. Fully hydraulic and can do enormous logs. Has a slightly thicker wider band than the usual bandsaws which keeps the cut from wavering.

Also I saw it cutting some knarly knotty logs... there was some waver but not much.... I notice that woodmeisers at shows almost exclusively mill straight grained softwood logs....

Loglogic are based in Devon and my advice would be to go and see them or someone close to you and have a look at the machine in person.....

If you call them ask for Graham or Marcus both of which are very knowledgeable.

Got a Woodmizer LT40 for the time being. Had it nearly 4 weeks, done 52 hours on it and it's been a learning curve. A lot of maintenance, a lot of things to keep an eye on. Cuts well so long as you are diligent. That's not to say I've not cut some crap boards, but it's mostly been my fault when I have.

If money were no object, I'd import something monstrous and American.