milling rockie advice.

WoodED

Yes I do have a camera phone - next time I'm doing one I'll remember to take a set of pictures. May be a few months though as I am concentrating flat-out on building the extension and any milling/carpentry is focussed on that. Just got the joists fitted on Saturday, too wet to build today so milling up some more oak batten (until the saw band snapped, at which point I declared it time for lunch!).

Now back off out to change the saw band, make the last two cuts and rip down the battens, then run the 6"x9" ridge beam through the thicknesser on my own. I suspect my back will ache in the morning.

Alec

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Meant to mention actually, when you get that annoying edge bit that is thick up near the buttress and thin at the top end, it's worth collecting these up as you go along and then setting the mill to either an inch or an inch and a quarter and running up them. The cut is so narrow that it's very quick to make.

Take each board in turn, look at the outer, narrow face and chalkline the best straight line through. Offset it an inch to one side and re-chalkline, rip it with your circular saw and then once you've made a straight edge on all your parts, set the fence on your circular saw to 2" and go through the pile to rip them all down to 2"x1" or 2"x1.25" batten. These are thin enough and narrow enough not to cup, and come in handy all over the place. I've already ripped the planks down for this, but if the rain holds off I'll try and video the ripping down process.

Alec

Good tip Alec - and look forward to vids.... I know what you mean when you're working flat out it's a real pain to film things... I force myself to but then I have the added incentive that I'm selling things and it's a good way to illustrate how they work!

Good tip Alec - and look forward to vids.... I know what you mean when you're working flat out it's a real pain to film things... I force myself to but then I have the added incentive that I'm selling things and it's a good way to illustrate how they work!

your videos already have me sold on the small log mill,:thumbup1:

i even bought a 13mm rachet spanner ready this morning

Not fair,I have also cought the bug but after good advise of you guys on here I have to look for a100cc chainsaw.When that is sorted I will be back for the 36ins bar and chain.

I could probably part ex a small country for all this Lol

Which country will you offer me for my gear? (I'm not interested in Belgium).

Alec