Wood Waste

dwconservation

Chainsaw shavings are OK for chickens but they don't use it for bedding because they roost on perches. The shavings are just to stop the droppings forming a solid smelly mass under the perches and wherever else they poop. It is about as effective as the bales of large shavings available from feed merchants and is free.

Dust isn't a problem when I use it and anyway, the people who claim dust is bad give probably also recommend giving hens a dust bath.

Steve

How weird

I'm getting some hens soon and was thinking of asking on here if sawdust is suitable for bedding

Sorry for the derail but someone on a poultry forum said it might be too damp or dusty, I assume you've had no problems ?

dust not a problem we use sawdust in commercial poultry applications however it must kept as dry as possible

I've been using my chainsaw shavings to make firelighters.

I put them into cardboard egg trays,pour molten wax over them and when they dry cut them into individual sections.

So far I have just used them myself. They work really well but I'm not sure if they would be a commercially viable to sell to customers.

first post by the way. Hello all.

I use chainsaw dust for guinea pig and rabbit bedding no problem.

However bear in mind that it will include a small proportion of chain oil. Not a problem for pets / livestock etc but maybe not such a good idea if you want to smoke food for human consumption.

I've been using my chainsaw shavings to make firelighters.

I put them into cardboard egg trays,pour molten wax over them and when they dry cut them into individual sections.

So far I have just used them myself. They work really well but I'm not sure if they would be a commercially viable to sell to customers.

first post by the way. Hello all.

Welcome Hot Logs

Do you use old candles melted down or buy wax crystals?

Nice idea.

Welcome Hot Logs

Do you use old candles melted down or buy wax crystals?

Nice idea.

Thanks.

So far I have been using old candles.

The problem is it takes a surprisingly large amount of wax and you would never be able to use all the shavings in this way.

It's just something I've been playing around with in my spare time.