Aquiring the perfect vehicle

martwizz

So i have read extensively about different pickup trucks, and i have thought alot about what i require, and i have decided that i need a truck with a 'cab and a half'. I think that a double cab is a huge waste of precious loadspace, but a single cab is too restrictive, i would like the option of the occasional passenger or space for gear in the cab.

So a ford ranger supercab or hilux extracab for me

....in anything that isnt white :sneaky2:

And i dont want a truckman back on the damn thing! What is the obsession with those things. If necessary i will buy a truck with one and remove it, but its not really something i want to have to try and sell/waste/put somewhere.

I have been scouring the internet for a couple of weeks now, autotrader, ebay, google, yahoo.... every time i find something i like, its either 400 miles away, overpriced as hell or theres a catch, like its 2WD or something.

These vehicles are so damn hard to find! They obviously arn't as popular as the double cabs. Do you guys have any tips where to look other than autotrader or ebay? I dont want to start running up and down the country looking at vehicles i decide are not for me.

On a side note... the Mazda B2500. Is it a trap? Is it literally just a ranger with a mazda stamp? I found this

1998 S Mazda B2500 Extended Cab 4x4 Pickup Red 181k | eBay

the mileage is incredible but it looks well kept and is very affordable.

as far as my budget, i am looking to spend 2-4k for a pickup that will last me until i find exactly what i want, but i am happy to spend 5-6k.... for a black ford ranger supercab with <80k miles and no truckman top :001_tongue:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree 100% with your assessment re truck cabs; I have a L200 doublecab at the mo which is so flippin reliable I can't ever see myself getting rid of it; only bain is the crap mpg. Double cab tho is as you say useful but cuts loadspace 8-10" compared with the supercab. I will most definately be having a supercab next time; enough space for the unexpected passenger and space to chuck saws in town etc. Like you, Ranger or Hilux; didn't take long to eliminate the ranger from enquiries; too high geared, depreciation and not a Toyota!

After some of the things i've heard about L200s, i wouldnt be confident buying one with 120k on the clock.

Plus its quite far from me, im looking for anything close to london/the south. Thats a 2 hour drive, which is god knows how long on a train.

Baby blue isnt really my colour anyway.

Thanks though! :001_smile:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140727099891&fromMakeTrack=true found this in the meantime. Seems like a potentially good truck. Winch looks a bit rusty.

Edited by martwizz

Heard what about L200s? Turbos, rear springs?, rear uj?

Keep the wastegate linkage hi-temp lubed. Load the butt. Replace rear uj with greaseable version.

egr valve - diy clean.

crank pulley - yes they go; just don't pay mitsi prices; milners et al cheaper by miles.

Mine has 118k, faultless; fencing bloke I know; old R reg - 287k, beaten up proper, keeps on going... Forestry Commission - plenty getting smashed up in the woods - they don't replace them for obvious reasons...

So i have read extensively about different pickup trucks, and i have thought alot about what i require, and i have decided that i need a truck with a 'cab and a half'. I think that a double cab is a huge waste of precious loadspace, but a single cab is too restrictive, i would like the option of the occasional passenger or space for gear in the cab.

So a ford ranger supercab or hilux extracab for me

On a side note... the Mazda B2500. Is it a trap? Is it literally just a ranger with a mazda stamp? I found this

I ended up with exactly the same thoughts as yourself. I needed a reliable vehicle, good size load bed for carrying and delivery logs, doing gardening jobs ,etc but did not need double cab layout. On the other hand, wanted to carry equipment, clothes and most importantly bait bag in the cab away from whatever cargo I was carrying to keep them dry,safe,clean and secure. Cannot understand why there are not more supercabs about - cannot remember last time I saw someone sitting in back of a double cab!

It did take me a long time to find the right vehicle but in 10 months and 12,000 miles I have been very happy with my purchase. Even the Truckman top!! Which as I am tall gives me more head room when I am jumping in and out of the back.

As for the Mazda being a Ranger with a Mazda stamp - nope, its the other way round . Up until the very latest series Ranger, they have all been Mazda with Ford badges on!! Happy hunting.

5976601027dfb_PICKUP1.jpg.cf92b570d485ea20b4c30f6d0159b962.jpg