Saw benchs for ripping timber?

Charlieh

Hi all,

can you use the old tractor saw benches for ripping timber? I guess you must be able to as they have a riving knife on them and i guess thats what the roller is on the front of them for? but i cant find any info on this. We have about 3 old ones on the farm and im tempted to sort the tidiest one if i can using it for ripping some lower grade timbers, stuff thats not worth alaskan milling as its small stuff, as im thinning some smaller conifers and its a shame to use it all as firewood if i could cut some rails out of it.

cheers

Charlie

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a book that details the difference in blade type and angle, but was unsure if this type of saw was usable for it. TBH the first thing that will happen is the blade will be sent off for a fettle, got a few spares in one of the barns as well so they can all go for a reset, think they are all 26-30" diameter,

also has anyone used sawmatic at Telford? as I would be able to drop them off their on my way past? The book I have is from about 1920 but actually contains loads of info on the saw blades including detailed info on which blades are best to use for different timbers as well.

You will have change the angle of the teeth to convert it to a ripping saw. Some where on here was posted how to sharpen saw bench blades, and he explains the difference between the two.

do you use a bench saw then for ripping, if so how do you find it?

also has anyone used sawmatic at Telford? as I would be able to drop them off their on my way past? The book I have is from about 1920 but actually contains loads of info on the saw blades including detailed info on which blades are best to use for different timbers as well.

HI MATE posch do one for ripping and logs all the best jon:thumbup:

we have an old swmill saw and table mounted on low trailer this has about 42 ich blade the bench is wound past the blade and is powered by six cylinder county engine this used to cut all the estate rails posts etc i do not use this now and will be for sale i might stick i on ebay or open to offers first dont know how o put up pictures thouh

cheers for all the info guys, Pro Bros, im after something cheap and simple really I unfortunatly am not in the position to spend a load of money on this as its only likily to get used a handful of days and the storage is an issue for me, so if i can get something i can nip into the woods as and when i do a bit of thinning so cheapness and mobility are key for me, anything bigger thats worth milling i do with my alaskan anyway, this is just for rougher quality stuff to make some fencing with.

I use my saw for ripping planks that i have cut with my chainsaw mill. The blade i use is a ripping blade filed to a cross cut angle, which means i can use it for both with out altering the tooth profile. The only down side is logs cross cut have a ragged edge.