Husky 346xp or 550xp?

Purplem00se

Hi, my names Alex and I'm studying Forestry and Arb at Reaseheath College. I shall be graduating in a few months and during my time at college I've been saving up to buy a chainsaw once I graduate.

While I've been working for an Arb company to gain experience in industry, I've found myself favouring the 346xp over the ms260, it just feels better and more wield-able (not sure if thats a word) than the ms260.

A couple of weeks ago, a guy from Buxtons and Husqvarna came to college to lets us have ago with some new kit, including the 550xp, which I was quite impressed with.

I'm not sure whether to go for the 346xp, as it's tired and tested and I get on with really well or go for 550xp which is new and feels just as useable as the 346xp. Any opinions, advice or recommendations would be a great help :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

O.K. I would go for tried and tested. Reason I say this is I have had alopt of trouble with my 560 ( 550 is similar but smaller ) and non whatsoever with my 346 . See the other thread " any one having trouble with 560 " for details of probs . Not saying 550 will be the same but some guys have them and its stating to smell similar . Husqvarna have the potential with those 2 saws to clean up . They are both fantastic saws head and shoulders above the competition but not all of them run properly . If you go for a 550 be sure to get a 2012 model and not a 2011 . Good luck with everything :thumbup:

I have a 550xp and a 346xpg, bought within months of eachother. The 346 has had a few niggles (it destroys spark plugs for no reason) the 550 has been flawless.

As far as 2011 vs 2012 saws, I reckon I had one of the very first 550's in the uk, in February so I don't think there are 2011 ones?

In use the 550 is everything the 346 is and more. More power, more torque, more speed, more flickability and more noise.

It's nicer to use, easier to start and feels like its been put together a bit more solid. (the pull start feels better, the on/off switch will probably actually last, the girlie button is better position thus less fragile etc etc.)

I'd go 550, any time!

I have a 550xp and a 346xpg, bought within months of eachother. The 346 has had a few niggles (it destroys spark plugs for no reason) the 550 has been flawless.

As far as 2011 vs 2012 saws, I reckon I had one of the very first 550's in the uk, in February so I don't think there are 2011 ones?

In use the 550 is everything the 346 is and more. More power, more torque, more speed, more flickability and more noise.

It's nicer to use, easier to start and feels like its been put together a bit more solid. (the pull start feels better, the on/off switch will probably actually last, the girlie button is better position thus less fragile etc etc.)

I'd go 550, any time!

in the 2-3 years ive had my 346xp, it has always fired after 1-2 pulls and always started on the 3rd pull, i have never broken the on and of switch or the choke even tho it rolls about on the back of the truck, it is very flickable (havnt used the 550 so cnt say more or less) and the constrution of it it fine, ive never broken anything on it, just thought id put that message across, i did 4 weeks with it felling 20-28 inch in diameter chestnuts with it and it flew throught them with a full chizel chain and low rakers, the saw it a pleasure to use, i am very fussy when it comes to maitenace, if im using the saw hard for the day i will grease and maintain my saw everday or ever few days depending on use.

Not having owned or used the 550 I can't comment on it. The 346xp however is a cracking saw and you don't need the girlie button at all unless your a girlie so it can break off whenever it likes. Never had a single problem with it either and I would buy another.

Yes, the 346 is one of the best saws ever made, but I reckon the 550 is simply better!

Any others run them both side by side?

A standard 550 is probably better than a standard 346 but not if you have a spud tuned on . I used my mates standard 346 and then swapped to mine . it made the standard one seem as though there was something wrong with it !

I'd go straight for the 550 - mine IS a 2011 one (mid december built) and will kick a 346 properly in the goolies. I was very very dubious of going for a new generation saw but having had a 560 on demo, the bar had been raised enough to take a bit of a risk.

There's no doubting the 346 is a good saw, but it just didn't inspire me enough to part with the cash for one. I'd been needing a new little saw for a while to replace my old 353 and was even considering rebuilding a 242 with shiny new gen barrel/piston instead but the 550 is like a 242 on steroids :thumbup1:

I'm finding I'm using my 550 in timber I'd previously have been taking a 357 into and so far it's been faultless (warm starting was a bit of a knack but I should have read the manual first :blushing: ). It seems to whip through a tank of fuel a bit quicker than a 346 does, but it'll usually be a couple of trees ahead by then anyway.

The way I looked at it, was that if it plays up I'll finish the day off with a spare saw and then drop it in to our dealer on the way home and they'll sort it under warranty. So far I haven't needed too.