346 chainbrake spring

smiles

had a nightmare today,the brake band broke at last knockings,managed to get one,but trying to refit the spring is bloody awkward,used a g-clamp in the end,but in doing so I somehow managed to break a piece off of the casting where the plastic slider/retainer on the end of the spring fits !!!!

This meant that the slider didn't move freely,so then a bit of over enthusiastic welly on the chainbrake to try and expand the brake band resulted in a broken chainbrake .....arghhhhhhh

I now realise that i need to make a tool to operate the mechanism when the cover is off the saw,to save trying to do it on the saw - but does anyone have any tricks for getting the compression spring back into place - I assume that there is no way you could do it with the band in the expanded position?

Don't really want to do the same thing with the new chainbrake and sidecover that I now need to buy...............!

Cheers

Steve

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Spud - but unfortunately it is a compression spring that has to be fitted into the clutch cover casting - and it's no mean spring either!

Gardenkit - I think that you have a very good point there,but the clutch cover casting cant be cheap,perhaps the brake bands dont go all that often - I hope not!

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Spud - but unfortunately it is a compression spring that has to be fitted into the clutch cover casting - and it's no mean spring either!

Gardenkit - I think that you have a very good point there,but the clutch cover casting cant be cheap,perhaps the brake bands dont go all that often - I hope not!

Cheers

Steve

£45.98 plus vat!

Cheers

Steve

Yes, I remember the things now - done too many MS200s lately, from memory I think i leame the mechanism on the "chainbrake on" position, wedge one end of the spring in to position and then get a large screwdriver in the other end of the spring groove and then lever the thing in to place.

Been a while since I have had to do one - I always wear safety glasses when working with compression springs - they can go off like bullets:thumbdown:

I've been wondering about this too! Have replaced spings and bands on various stihls without problem, but haven't dared / needed to open the chainbrake mechanism on my 346 yet!!

Even if you can put the spring back, if the chain brake is on, how do you re-fit the side cover ? Is it possible to operate the chainbrake by putting something in the little 3 toothed wheel ?

I've been wondering about this too! Have replaced spings and bands on various stihls without problem, but haven't dared / needed to open the chainbrake mechanism on my 346 yet!!

Even if you can put the spring back, if the chain brake is on, how do you re-fit the side cover ? Is it possible to operate the chainbrake by putting something in the little 3 toothed wheel ?

Yes, I use some very large right angled circlip pliers, but only because in 10 yrs I have not got round to making up a little 3 legged pin wrench.

• 2 years later...

Very belated thanks to Barrie on this!

346 brake band went recently, so bought new side cover to get up and running quickly (or not, took ages to come) then new band to put in old one for spare / next time. Was indeed a pain to do - not recommended for 10 min job on site at lunchtime as with a stihl!

A