cutting down trees without a felling license

maxdouglas

hi, i have cut down a couple of large beech trees (that were full of cancor and were breakingup)in a wood that i am going to replant with oak. i have since learned that i have in fact broken the law because i felled the trees without a felling license. nobody has complained so far but i am a little worried coz the land borders an area popular with walkers. all the wood has now been cut into logs so i was hoping that because of this reason it would be hard for me to be prosecuted because it would be difficult to prove that the trees hadnt been struck by lightening or whatever?

thanks.

hi, i have cut down a couple of large beech trees (that were full of cancor and were breakingup)in a wood that i am going to replant with oak. i have since learned that i have in fact broken the law because i felled the trees without a felling license. nobody has complained so far but i am a little worried coz the land borders an area popular with walkers. all the wood has now been cut into logs so i was hoping that because of this reason it would be hard for me to be prosecuted because it would be difficult to prove that the trees hadnt been struck by lightening or whatever?

thanks.

You have to fell a certain amount before a felling licence is required. I'm sure somebody will soon let you know how much but I think you are ok :001_smile:

thanks.

Don't panic! You do NOT need a felling licence if the trees are dangerous or a nuisance. This is quite clear on the FC site. See Forestry Commission - Felling licences exemptions

Don't panic! You do NOT need a felling licence if the trees are dangerous or a nuisance. This is quite clear on the FC site. See Forestry Commission - Felling licences exemptions

I should have added this quote from the FC site to my post:

"6. Felling necessary for the prevention of danger or the prevention or abatement of a

nuisance (eg. which may involve threat of danger to a third party).

This exemption will only apply if there is a real rather than a perceived danger.

We may be able to give you advice that would minimise the danger without felling

the trees. We strongly recommend that you contact us if you are considering felling

a tree or trees in these circumstances. You may be prosecuted for illegal felling if it

is shown that the tree did not present a real or immediate danger."

thanks.

As said already if the'yre dangerous then felling is obviously sensible. I would suggest taking pictures of the logwood if infection / fungi / dead wood is visible then phone the FC and inform them and provide the pics if they want evidence - also try and ascertain whether the tree's were even large enough to be over your allowed limit anyway...

I don't think your lightening story is particuarly plausible and would avoid this considering your probably on the right side of the law anyway...

:001_cool:

As said already if the'yre dangerous then felling is obviously sensible. I would suggest taking pictures of the logwood if infection / fungi / dead wood is visible then phone the FC and inform them and provide the pics if they want evidence - also try and ascertain whether the tree's were even large enough to be over your allowed limit anyway...

I don't think your lightening story is particuarly plausible and would avoid this considering your probably on the right side of the law anyway...

:001_cool:

Especially as you have said it on this forum too :001_smile: