Timber for log cabin!

MikeTM150

your better off contacting local estates than the fc, they really don't want to know unless you want thousands of tons, and if you need a hand building your cabin drop me a line,

I may very well do that, I am just trying to do a bit of research into the job and starting off with a small one as I'm hoping to avoid planning. Its in the middle of nowhere and can't see the two people who could see it if they squinted hard through a telescope to complain anyway.

Hoping to put turf roof on to help blend it in and keep it warm, now that seems to be a minefield of differing opinions on what you should do!!!

Thanks for all you help, FC seem to be pretty useless really for the small quantities i want, if i wanted 2000tons then I'm sure they'd be much more willing which is understandable!!!

:biggrin::biggrin:

Edited by MikeTM150
speeellllinngggg

use Douglas fir, ive built a canadian full scribe two story cabin for a client and you will find douglas works a bit better and tends to check less. costs more for larger logs but the better the quality the better the end result. if you want inseration, get some B. Allen Mackie books, he is the log building master and has taught most of the worlds best log framers. Log diametre wise try not to go less than 12 " as the joints are not as good with small diametre timber.

No i self taught, primarily with a book by F. D. Milne. We built loads with oak before but, log building was always more interesting. As long as you think a few logs ahead and can scribe acuratley its not too difficult. I built a two storey cabin, with overhung front porch, half mesanine 1st floor with out rigger roof and log walls to the ridge. Thats about as tough as it gets. Its alot easier to log work up to eaves then post and beam the roof. You will get the same feel but the infill will be made of 6x2"s in the roof which eliviates alot of the settleing problems which occur with log gable ends. if i can find out how to do it i will post acouple of pics of the last cabin for you to have alook at. if the cabin log work is done correctly you should not be able to get a piece of paper in the joint.

just south of bridgnorth, shropshire. if your after books, try the log home store in canada, on the internet or amazon have most stuff. for scribes and pencils the log home store or companies like that will ship to your address.

look forward to the pics mate sounds good,and very interesting:thumbup1: