Noob Needs A Chainsaw.

MartinF

Agree with all of that , not sure he needs the lathe though ! :lol:

Oh it comes in handy like the time i dropped a roll of chain put that Suffolk punch clutch drum on it and used the tail stock to camp it in put it on a low speed and about 5 mins later done!

Oh and apply the chain brake and its easier to file all the teeth which face the same way then turn the saw round in the vice but its up to you!

Charlie

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you guys thinks it's bonkers for a noob to buy a 550XP but the way I see it, it should last me for decades.

With it being a pro saw, it should be better built and sturdy so It's very unlikely I'm ever going to take it out of it's comfort zone.

It's going to be capable of doing practically any cutting job I come across.

With it have all the electronic trickery it should be economical for it's size and I won't be spending goodness knows how much more time using it as I would with a less powerful saw.

This is a purchase I only want to do once and as someone mentioned, if I got a small saw I may in the future want to upgrade which could in the long run be more expensive.

If there's any flaws in my logic, please tell me. :001_smile:

You never know, it may draw me into a new career too. :biggrin:

Martin, I fear you are losing your way here. At the beginning of the thread you said

"The saw will probably be used 3 or 4 times a year for sawing up loads of wood as I get them.

I have a pile of wood in the back garden at the moment that I have bought.

It consists of blocks of wood that I will use a splitting axe on (need to get descent one of those too), a pile of branches that are 4 inches to 8 inches thick and a load of thicker pieces that range from 9 inches thick to 13 inches thick."

Honestly, you don't need to spend over £500 or £600 on a saw for what you want to do. For that money, you could get a brilliant saw for the job, and have a big chunk of money toward a pair of quality chainsaw trousers and the other PPE, a good splitting axe, etc etc. My work mate has been doing his own firewood for donkey's years using small Stihl 021, and he gets through loads of it with 2 burners and a poorly insulated ancient house.

You can read all those glamorous specs on say the 550XP, like magnesium crank case, low vibe, low emissions, side mounted chain tensioner, quick release air filter, blah blah blah, and they all equally well apply to the Makita and many other saws mentioned in this thread, that cost far less than £500. Yeah, the 550XP has got centrifugal air intake to keep the filter clean, but the Makita has got the intake on the left away from the chain, which also keeps the filter clean. It's no big deal, especially not for logging your own firewood a few times per year.

Just saying :)

I can't quite decide whether the logical conclusion to this thread is an MS880, an 090G Super or a Teles SW7 (2man saw with a 350cc engine).....

Alec

Hi Alec,

In that case the logical conclusion would be to buy the wood already cut and chopped. :001_smile:

I hear what you guys are saying and I suppose that no matter what I say you'll think my logic is flawed.

Trying to predict what jobs I will need a saw to do in the next 10 years is nigh on impossible so why not just get a saw that will be capable of doing practically anything that I will want it to do.

ETA. Would someone please be kind enough to check this PPE kit for me and tell me if it is all up to the job. Thanks.

Husqvarna Chainsaw Protective Kit

Edited by MartinF

Well, it's all up to the job it's intended for.

Occasional non-pro user stuff.

I wondered if the trousers were the correct grade for a 550XP.

I have noticed that different trousers are different grades ad I don't now what they mean.

I don't want to buy some that are going to give me the correct level of protection.

Generally there are two types of protective trouser/chaps.

Design A which is allround protection- generally for off the ground use

or

Design C which is front protection only (obviously chaps fall into this category) which are designed for ground work.

Personally although I don't climb I have the best protection I can get, so use all round protection for ground work.