New Towing Regs - Jan 2013

Johnnyboxer

I got pulled on the M6 yesterday, Disco plus IFW twin axle box van, max trailer weight 2700kg, seems I need a Tacho as my train weight [Disco plus trailer loaded to max weight ] is over 3500kg.

A

The rules are are a nonsense aren't they. So now you have to fork out the best part of £1500 to get a tacho installed. You were obviously intending to joyride up to durness and back non stop:).

It really bugs me that we are all paying for an army of officials whose sole aim is to persecute businesses with this red tape crap.

I took the decision to sell my trailer as I cannot be doing with this pettifogging bureaucracy. It doesnt make the roads safer, it costs businesses in time and money and is a civil service job creation racket pure and simple.

Rant over.

The revolution may be televised but it wont be towed.

http://www.kinnoirwoodfuel.co.uk

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nor had the DfT/DVLA until I contacted them and pointed this out as I considered it unfair

Why should a driver who say passes a C+E and can tow huge trailers for years and perhaps their own 3500 trailer or very large caravan have to take the lesser B+E test to carry on towing the same large trailer/caravan when they retire or give up LGV driving and yet those who pass the lesser B+E test can have it for life ...... NOT FAIR ..... but the DfT said they will not change things

Currently looking again into this issue as it seems DVLA & DfT have got it wrong because I have found a few post 1997 car test licence holders who have done CE but not BE and their BEs are expiry dated the same as the B

Also an Operator licence

restricted O licence to carry just own stuff but only if trailer is over 1020 kgs UNLADEN

full O licence to carry stuff not own but now with any trailer

O licence stuff not really my bag so I hope I remembered right ...

This a new one on me. My understanding is if the tow vehicle max weight is under 3500kg you dont need an O licence ?

This a new one on me. My understanding is if the tow vehicle max weight is under 3500kg you dont need an O licence ?

As I stated I am not the expert on this but from my understanding if the total GVW/MAM is under 3500 then no O licence but if over 3500 total GVW/MAM when towing then one might be needed depending on the type of work being done and the unladen weight of the trailer for each type of work

AGAIN, I aint the authority on O licences but that is how I see it

Currently looking again into this issue as it seems DVLA & DfT have got it wrong because I have found a few post 1997 car test licence holders who have done CE but not BE and their BEs are expiry dated the same as the B

Got a reply from DVLA -

I asked this question -

Driver passes B in 2000, C in 2004 & CE in 2005

What expiry date is shown for the BE gained by getting the CE?

DVLA Email [email protected] to me

show details 09:22 (44 minutes ago)

Dear Mr *****

Thank you for your email received on 21/3/12. Your email reference number is 880046.

I can confirm that the expiry date of the category BE will be the same as the category B. Both entitlements remain valid until the day before the licence holder's 70th birthday, and the dates for this will be shown on the reverse of the photocard.

I am unable to release the exact dates via email for security reasons, but if you would like this confirmed then please contact our Customer Enquiry Unit on the number below:

Tel: 0300 790 6801

Opening Times:

Lines are open Monday to Friday 8.00am to 7.00pm and Saturday 8.00am to 2.00pm.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla/cegemail/directgov/en/reply_form_drivers.html

When filling in the form the email reference number 880046 will be required.

Regards

A Prichard

Customer Enquiries Group

DVLA

As I stated I am not the expert on this but from my understanding if the total GVW/MAM is under 3500 then no O licence but if over 3500 total GVW/MAM when towing then one might be needed depending on the type of work being done and the unladen weight of the trailer for each type of work

THIS MIGHT HELP

:001_smile:

You are wrong

Vehicles and I stress VEHICLES rather than combinations of vehicles and trailers in excess of 3500kg need an "O" licence

Edited by treequip
typo

I got pulled on the M6 yesterday, Disco plus IFW twin axle box van, max trailer weight 2700kg, seems I need a Tacho as my train weight [Disco plus trailer loaded to max weight ] is over 3500kg.

A

For a combination, ie a drawing vehicle and trailer, you need a licence if:

the unladen weight of the tractive unit plus the gross plated weight of the semi-trailer is more than 3,500 kilograms

Trailer MAM = 2700 plus the unladen weight of the Disco (tractive unit?) has got to be over 3500 total so requires an O licence ... yes???