To Coronet or Not to Coronet, now that is a question

David Humphries

• 3 months later...

One here from today on a willow that was supposed to be felled. The TO will have his say on Monday but I took a chance:001_smile: These shots are followed by a far superior fracture when the whole tree gave up trying to support a section lowered from an adjacent tree. I got a bit cocky.....oops:001

P8100005.jpg.e1d7b0c9881ac2cc9af5faa8e68f0179.jpg

P8120011.jpg.e23327353b9eee53acbbc2deeab92885.jpg

P8120019.jpg.c967a1c07eaa655add5a2a16879af38f.jpg

P8120022.jpg.51a6fc0a2106b44948046818386e4b51.jpg

Cocked up order pics too!

The tree that gave up

P8100005.jpg.e1d7b0c9881ac2cc9af5faa8e68f0179.jpg

From June's Arborist News:

"Intentional wounding ...At Fort Bragg, NC, US, longleaf pine are drilled with 5 cm (2”) bits to favor the rare red-cockaded woodpecker. In Sweden and England, hardwood branches are torn and blasted and sliced and diced, with branch ends shaped like little crowns. The objective behind these “coronet cuts” is to invite highly specialized beetles and fungi to colonize the exposed xylem.

When tree health and safety are not the primary objectives, arboriculture gives way to vegetation management. While it may be helpful to look at trees as part of larger systems, favoring other species is very different from tree-centered arboriculture."

If the defined objective is habitat for a defined orgaism(s) of imprtance, it makes sense. If not, not. "Eco-arb" is vegetation management in green clothing. At Arborcamp in Australia we saw some good examples of making thumb-sized slits for bats. Cool stuff imo. Only if the habitat is for special species do I intentionally wound a tree. Otherwise it just seems like mutilation is now a fad.

From June's Arborist News:

"Intentional wounding ...At Fort Bragg, NC, US, longleaf pine are drilled with 5 cm (2”) bits to favor the rare red-cockaded woodpecker. In Sweden and England, hardwood branches are torn and blasted and sliced and diced, with branch ends shaped like little crowns. The objective behind these “coronet cuts” is to invite highly specialized beetles and fungi to colonize the exposed xylem.

When tree health and safety are not the primary objectives, arboriculture gives way to vegetation management. While it may be helpful to look at trees as part of larger systems, favoring other species is very different from tree-centered arboriculture."

If the defined objective is habitat for a defined orgaism(s) of imprtance, it makes sense. If not, not. "Eco-arb" is vegetation management in green clothing. At Arborcamp in Australia we saw some good examples of making thumb-sized slits for bats. Cool stuff imo. Only if the habitat is for special species do I intentionally wound a tree. Otherwise it just seems like mutilation is now a fad.

hardcore ISA man:001_rolleyes:

hardcore ISA man:001_rolleyes:

Hardcore ANSI A300 man, true. Those standards allow for habitat pruning, and will probably include more in the next revision. Hardcore tree man, is the goal anyway.

Complex relations with ISA; somewhere between blind allegiance and throwing hand grenades. both approaches tried and found wanting. :lol::lol: To the considerable extent that ISA advances understanding of tree care, entirely supportive.

Is there another organization that does as much for arborists or for arboriculture? :confused1: If so, I'll join today.

But enough derail. Here are shots from ArborCamp in Oz

59765db1c63c0_IMG_23971.jpg.e9048a9dd7299eb02fa02fc39421157a.jpg

59765db1c3773_IMG_23931.jpg.351720e83412beb014effe7edc10f94c.jpg

59765db1bfa78_IMG_24011.jpg.44b7c0903a7d241a34fc183e42ecd4fa.jpg

59765db1bbec2_IMG_23911.jpg.96108a20734167acf2f384f8348932f6.jpg

Complex relations with ISA; somewhere between blind allegiance and throwing hand grenades. both approaches tried and found wanting.

Guy,

Also being a clinical psychologist/psychotherapist and an expert on human behaviour or communication, why am I not surprised ? Maybe a bit of introspection and self reflection could do wonders for you and for the good causes :thumbup1: you're fighting for.

So much for your promises of not replying to my posts! I'm married to a clinical psychologist/psychotherapist who is a PhD neuropsychologist and head of a federal research review committee. I went on extended vacation in part to avoid getting routinely "shrunk" (sorry honey) but now I'm pursued by a rogue low land shrink on a tree guy chat forum! :wtf:

"Guy,

Also being a clinical psychologist/psychotherapist and an expert on human behaviour or communication, why am I not surprised ? Maybe a bit of introspection and self reflection could do wonders for you and for the good causes :thumbup1: you're fighting for."

1. How else do you think I came to the conclusion that those behaviours were not productive, a fortune cookie?

2. If you are such an expert on communication, perhaps you could manage to reply even when your ego is jiggled by alternative viewpoints. Consider that I'm comfortable expressing my personal growth and *errors* and stumbling evolution, in response to an innocuous but personal jab.

How do you handle the heat, doc? Toss a few broad insults and slither out of the kitchen to the study, for brandy and cigars? (hama you fink did you lead this guy of all people to a pruning thread? :sneaky2:)

Speaking of expertise on human communication, we could talk about how many peer reviews we have each sustained....but then I would have to do what Tony hinted and check your cv, which would no doubt render me prostrate, and risk blowing out my prostate. Worse yet, that might lead to an extended discourse on the precise meaning of "peer", which is the wrong topic to raise with a UK group. Moving on...

3. Maybe if you gazed at your own navel a while you would arrive at your own epiphanies, and answers to: why is narrowminded arrogance such a dutch trait? why do you find conversation with an american arborist so difficult? Perhaps a tree guy dropped a branch in your sandbox way back when. Someday you may see that forum chat like all social intercourse (and that other kind too) is meant to be Dutch Treat; everybody buys their own, and owns their own.

Just funnin' with ya Gerrit, take it easy. I'm off to New Zealand, and will not interpose in the euc canker thread anymore. Your most qualified views on fungal disease from the fungal viewpoint will be safe from my mycologically lacking arboinput. :thumbup1:

Guten Nacht, Mein Freund

gee i hope no one else is listening

1. I'm married to a clinical psychologist/psychotherapist. I went on extended vacation in part to avoid getting routinely "shrunk"

2. Toss a few broad insults ... why is narrowminded arrogance such a dutch trait?

3. why do you find conversation with an american arborist so difficult?

4. I'm off to New Zealand

Guy,

1. I sympathize with her, it must be a relieve to have you out of the house for a while :001_rolleyes: . Just funnin' with ya Guy, take it easy :001_smile: and give my best regards to your wife.

2. And "qualifying" scientifically based answers to your questions as "broad insults" and "narrowminded arrogance" are typical American traits ?

3. Because of this bizarre way of communicating starting with : "far off the radar" ... "some offence still taken" ... "bully pulpit", followed by ridiculing my reply to your questions with suggestions for microscopical assessment by wishing for "world peace" and "a chicken in every pot", followed by : "We've excised Gerrit's constructive advice and will follow it" after I had withdrawn from the thread, "Thank for your frank responses; no sense beating around the bush. Keep them coming :thumbup: ", "Toss a few broad insults" and "narrowminded arrogance."

4. Best of luck, keep up the good work :thumbup1: .

Edited by Fungus