whats the most stupid thing you've done

blue

When I was a second year apprentice we used to move double decker buses by putting a compressor on board and blowing the air brakes off. I was steering

(no power steering) and my forman was in charge of the air. As we pushed the bus down the slope it became obvious someone had removed the rear half shafts so no brakes. It was a choice between killing some people, hitting 20 new lorries in a row or putting the bus in the river test. The bus ended up in the river test with me sitting 20ft in the air still in the cab. I got a written warning but it was later withdrawn as I was an apprentice and under supervision. Also saving the lives of the british telecom inspectors may have swung it.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a second year apprentice we used to move double decker buses by putting a compressor on board and blowing the air brakes off. I was steering

(no power steering) and my forman was in charge of the air. As we pushed the bus down the slope it became obvious someone had removed the rear half shafts so no brakes. It was a choice between killing some people, hitting 20 new lorries in a row or putting the bus in the river test. The bus ended up in the river test with me sitting 20ft in the air still in the cab. I got a written warning but it was later withdrawn as I was an apprentice and under supervision. Also saving the lives of the british telecom inspectors may have swung it.

Most stupid thing I did at work years ago was not looking behind me...

I was cleaning out the cow yards on a little Skidster M10 [that you stand on the back of] and was merrily driving in and reversing out.... Eventually I drifted off in the monotony of the job and didn't look behind, or duck, as I flew backwards full tilt out the shed....

a 12" oak truss chord caught me straight across the back of the head, which in itself hurt like hell and felt like the world's worst hangover for a couple of days, but the impact of that sent my face down into the loader boom right onto the lifting ring.

10 years later the missing front tooth still reminds me to look behind every day!

Most stupid thing I did at work years ago was not looking behind me...

I was cleaning out the cow yards on a little Skidster M10 [that you stand on the back of] and was merrily driving in and reversing out.... Eventually I drifted off in the monotony of the job and didn't look behind, or duck, as I flew backwards full tilt out the shed....

a 12" oak truss chord caught me straight across the back of the head, which in itself hurt like hell and felt like the world's worst hangover for a couple of days, but the impact of that sent my face down into the loader boom right onto the lifting ring.

10 years later the missing front tooth still reminds me to look behind every day!

A few years ago I started a BC1000, not realising that there was a MS460 in the hopper (someone had put a bunch of brushwood in with it).

Luckily, the chipper was fine. The saw ended up in a thousand tiny pieces. Somehow, the bar came out in one. The engine block was sliced clean in half. :(

Since then, I always check the hopper several times, and make sure there is literally nothing in it. Also, if see someone pushing stuff in with their hands close to the feed rollers, I make a point of giving them a broom. I cant stand seeing people face first in the hopper.

A few years ago I started a BC1000, not realising that there was a MS460 in the hopper (someone had put a bunch of brushwood in with it).

Luckily, the chipper was fine. The saw ended up in a thousand tiny pieces. Somehow, the bar came out in one. The engine block was sliced clean in half. :(

Since then, I always check the hopper several times, and make sure there is literally nothing in it. Also, if see someone pushing stuff in with their hands close to the feed rollers, I make a point of giving them a broom. I cant stand seeing people face first in the hopper.

Most stubid thing ive done is when i was first out of college reducing some beech branches off a house had to be rigged out because sheds right under the tree and the tips were overhanging the house roof. Anyways set the pulley on the branch i was cutting cut the gob tied it off and then looked down to check groundy 1 was ready to lower hes ready for it then i knew what groundy 2 was like he would walk under not a clue etc im keeping my eye on him and manage to concentrate on him rather than where im cutting and manged to cut the branch behind the pulley so branch just free falled to the floor lucky it landed perfect nothing damaged but lesson sure was drumed into me how easy mistakes can happen

Most stubid thing ive done is when i was first out of college reducing some beech branches off a house had to be rigged out because sheds right under the tree and the tips were overhanging the house roof. Anyways set the pulley on the branch i was cutting cut the gob tied it off and then looked down to check groundy 1 was ready to lower hes ready for it then i knew what groundy 2 was like he would walk under not a clue etc im keeping my eye on him and manage to concentrate on him rather than where im cutting and manged to cut the branch behind the pulley so branch just free falled to the floor lucky it landed perfect nothing damaged but lesson sure was drumed into me how easy mistakes can happen

I was returning home on Thursday morning from doing a job for a friend, stopped at a garage to check tyre pressures for the 240 mile trip to the APF, pulled up at home and knew the washer bottle needed filling, grabbed a watering can, filled it up, grabbed the container of screen wash, lifted bonnet, started pouring in screenwash and thought,"Hang on a minute, that smells like chip oil!" Sure enough, I had picked up the old screenwash container that I had drained the deep fat fryer in to a few months ago!!!!!!!!

Luckily, not too much had gone in so I used blue tissue stuffed down the neck of the washer bottle to soak it up and after about a dozen attempts had majority of it out. Then put a good amount of washing up liquid in and warm water and sat with the wash wipe on until bottle emptied, then repeated.

Glad to say did not end up with any oil on windscreen, just wasted an hour!

I was returning home on Thursday morning from doing a job for a friend, stopped at a garage to check tyre pressures for the 240 mile trip to the APF, pulled up at home and knew the washer bottle needed filling, grabbed a watering can, filled it up, grabbed the container of screen wash, lifted bonnet, started pouring in screenwash and thought,"Hang on a minute, that smells like chip oil!" Sure enough, I had picked up the old screenwash container that I had drained the deep fat fryer in to a few months ago!!!!!!!!

Luckily, not too much had gone in so I used blue tissue stuffed down the neck of the washer bottle to soak it up and after about a dozen attempts had majority of it out. Then put a good amount of washing up liquid in and warm water and sat with the wash wipe on until bottle emptied, then repeated.

Glad to say did not end up with any oil on windscreen, just wasted an hour!