Fence Post Driver

Chilterns

Hi,

I have been making fence posts out of standing dead cedar pole trees and would now like to drive a line of fence posts using same.

The ground this spring is pretty dry (rock hard) and so I have been experiencing difficulty knocking these far enough into the ground by just using an ordinary sledge hammer.

I have seen that its possible to buy a two handled sliding tube type post driver and wonder what experience people have of using this type of device ?

Can anyone provide a recommendation on the best type to buy for typical 4" diameter round posts please ?

Regards

Chilterns

They're just easier to use, as it's impossible to miss the post. They don't give the same whack a sledgie does though, and make you far more tired. You only have a couple of feet for the thing to gain speed and moment, a sledgie has a 180 swing to gather speed.

If you lift it slightly too high, you run the risk of catching the edge of the tool on the top of the post, which can be quite dangerous, I once found a friend of mine out cold beside a post, half into the ground with this weapon of choice beside him.

They're ok imo for posts that'll go in easy.

If the ground is really rock hard, get a 2" or 3" auger to make a pilot hole first, if you still have trouble, pour a bucket of water down the hole some ten minutes before you whack the post in. (keep two holes ahead of yourself with the auger)

Good luck.

This amateur just put 20 posts in using that type knocker..with a friend on 'tother side of post and workign together it wasn't too bad. If I'd used a sledge or mallet then i'd have had to cart something to stand on (and probably missed the post a few times too).

A pilot hole makes is easier

They're just easier to use, as it's impossible to miss the post. They don't give the same whack a sledgie does though, and make you far more tired. You only have a couple of feet for the thing to gain speed and moment, a sledgie has a 180 swing to gather speed.

If you lift it slightly too high, you run the risk of catching the edge of the tool on the top of the post, which can be quite dangerous, I once found a friend of mine out cold beside a post, half into the ground with this weapon of choice beside him.

They're ok imo for posts that'll go in easy.

If the ground is really rock hard, get a 2" or 3" auger to make a pilot hole first, if you still have trouble, pour a bucket of water down the hole some ten minutes before you whack the post in. (keep two holes ahead of yourself with the auger)

Good luck.

Used a post hole driver for years and never had a problem.Get your blacksmith to make a custom square one to stop your post turning when they hit stones.We sometimes use a post maul but it depends on the job.A sledgehammer is what you use on steel and no use for posts.You have to used a pinchbar to make a hole in the ground first.

A hand post borer is no use in stoney ground unless you want a broken wrist.

Used a post hole driver for years and never had a problem.Get your blacksmith to make a custom square one to stop your post turning when they hit stones.We sometimes use a post maul but it depends on the job.A sledgehammer is what you use on steel and no use for posts.You have to used a pinchbar to make a hole in the ground first.

A hand post borer is no use in stoney ground unless you want a broken wrist.

A square one is not going to be much easier for his round posts?

A sledgehammer is wrong you are correct, the tool I use is called a beetle.

I use a hand-auger is very hard clay all the time (we have a serious drought on), he did not say it was stony, just hard. I've not managed to break my wrist yet, but then it is a well trained wrist, the wife often works away from home:biggrin: I've been putting 3-4" 6ft chestnut posts in by making a 2" pilot hole with the auger, the a decent bit of whacking with a large home-made apple-wood beetle. Rock solid.:thumbup1:

A square one is not going to be much easier for his round posts?

A sledgehammer is wrong you are correct, the tool I use is called a beetle.

I use a hand-auger is very hard clay all the time (we have a serious drought on), he did not say it was stony, just hard. I've not managed to break my wrist yet, but then it is a well trained wrist, the wife often works away from home:biggrin: I've been putting 3-4" 6ft chestnut posts in by making a 2" pilot hole with the auger, the a decent bit of whacking with a large home-made apple-wood beetle. Rock solid.:thumbup1:

you've got to love arbtalk

I've been calling it a beadle for years since I misheard it called that

You have made my education more complete:001_smile:

Hi,

Thanks for those valuable insights. I like the pilot hole / watering can approach.

The ground is hard and is quite variable including sand / clay / gravel / flint/ chalk and of course tree roots since this fence is going around the perimeter of a woodland.

I have made a wooden persuader / commander / beetle and will give this a go.

Regards

Chilterns