Law re. private tree work

Stereo

What about the point re. trees in conservation areas but on private land? I take it these are protected as well?

Yes, these are protected.

With your next point about someone moving into a house with a 150yr old beech, well if its not in conservation area and no tpo then yes they can do what they want, they own it.

The sad thing is that a nice tree generally add to value of a property in substantial amounts of actuall ££££££££££'s, but a hacked about tree, lopped, topped or otherwise abused, is the opposite and new owners would have to deal with it (at cost) so this can be very detrimental to property value.

This is one thing that homeowners seem unable to appreciate, weather in a conservation area or not, trees are an assett. We all know that a well serviced and maintained car is worth more than an abused one thats never been serviced! Thats simple!!! But a tree in a property is very similar, it is part of the properties value and should be looked after in the same way as the roof, the paintwork etc etc.

A client asked me once waht it woudl cost to top a row of limes around her property and I suggested that the cost would be 10% off the value of her property. That was the only thing she could actually understand!! We thinned and lifted them instead and addedmaybe 5% to the value of her property!!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, thanks. That's what I thought but I was told quite sternly by an experienced councillor that you are 'not allowed to cut trees down full stop'!

common misconseption amongs people that know bugger all but think they do!

Don't matter how big or old a tree is if it aint in a con area or have a TPO the owner can do what he/she likes to it.

What about the point re. trees in conservation areas but on private land? I take it these are protected as well?

Yes, these are protected.

With your next point about someone moving into a house with a 150yr old beech, well if its not in conservation area and no tpo then yes they can do what they want, they own it.

The sad thing is that a nice tree generally add to value of a property in substantial amounts of actuall ££££££££££'s, but a hacked about tree, lopped, topped or otherwise abused, is the opposite and new owners would have to deal with it (at cost) so this can be very detrimental to property value.

This is one thing that homeowners seem unable to appreciate, weather in a conservation area or not, trees are an assett. We all know that a well serviced and maintained car is worth more than an abused one thats never been serviced! Thats simple!!! But a tree in a property is very similar, it is part of the properties value and should be looked after in the same way as the roof, the paintwork etc etc.

A client asked me once waht it woudl cost to top a row of limes around her property and I suggested that the cost would be 10% off the value of her property. That was the only thing she could actually understand!! We thinned and lifted them instead and addedmaybe 5% to the value of her property!!

:congrats:

A few times over the years I have pointed out to the planning dept. trees that I think should be protected by TPO, and I know on at least a couple of occasions a TPO has been subsequently put on them. This is definitely something worth doing. Keep your eyes open for something that looks beautiful and try and get it protected - all you need to do is speak to your friendly tree occifer.

Well I did mention this to the councillor who raised the issue. He was concerned as well so I told him to make a list of all trees he considered should be protected and get TPO's on them, either himself or the tree's neighbours.

That is a good idea!

Generally they will only tpo good specimens of fine trees in good locations and in good condition i.e. not been topped in the past. So if you can find any like this TPOs would be good.

Aside from that we are saying that if someone bought a house with a 150 year old beech in the garden and started taking chunks out of it or felled it completely and it was not TPO or in a conservation area, then there is very little anyone can do?

That point is certainly correct- and I'm glad it is. Got booger all to do with anyone else what they get up to.

There's nothing stopping any concerned party asking their local tree officer to look at a tree and put a TPO on it if there is reason to believe their is an intent to fell.